New York Life - Awesome company to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

"Awesome company to work"

I have been working at New York Life part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love people and have the sales skills, this place is your heaven!

Cons

100% Commission
Cubic is not large enough

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

"A reasonable opportunity in a field that wasn't for me."

Former Contractor - Agent
    Former Contractor - Agent

I worked at New York Life as a contractor

Pros

- Decent training (outstanding outside sales process, BTW)
    - Good income POTENTIAL
    - Passionate people around you
    - If you're searching for drive, NYL will help you find it . . . or they'll help you find the door. (Nothing wrong with that, BTW. For sincere success in life insurance, you'd best be driven.)
    - Scheduling flexibility. You are your own boss, provided that you're hitting the numbers (Nothing wrong with that, either)

Cons

- Recruitment isn't upfront and direct about costs. There is much "talking into the hands" when it comes to what costs will be incurred. The big shocker will come at about the two-month point when the agent finds out the cost of the mailers they'll be sending to all the people they've approached about being on the mailing list. Granted, it IS your own business, but I often felt that management was using that as camouflage for not being upfront. I would suspect that the whole truth scares away recruits, so it's best to "ease them in." Truth be told, I figured something was up when I was given the full-court press on how much money I could make (in fact, that seemed to be the go-to topic of discussion whenever morale would flag)!
    - Beware the prospecting. The typical agent burns through their warm market in a hurry. The focus on prospecting was non-existent. Referrals, yes . . . but you'll find client push-back on referrals, until you actually accomplish something for them. Develop some strategies, and FAST!! Voice the concern early and often with management/training. Just asking won't cut it. Keep in mind that the sweet spot for life insurance is late twenties/early thirties, starting families, and asset accumulation. If your warm market is past that, they probably have planning in place; doesn't hurt to ask, you might be able to help, but don't rely on it!!
    - Compliance is on the agent. Learn the rules, and learn to file . . . efficiently!!! You won't have time to fix it!!
    - Management is spread thin. If you're looking for a mentor, try an established agent. But don't be surprised if they don't have much time for you, as they have their own business to run. Also, they might charge you for the privilege (keep in mind that the primary recruiting tool is money). Don't count on your manager/partner; they're often too busy recruiting to give you much time. In fact, much of the admin associated with hiring will be handled by the new agent. Again, nothing wrong with that, I just wish management would set proper expectations. They're actively recruiting independent, entrepreneurial spirits that can handle it, just be upfront. I was particularly frustrated that my manager/partner double-, and even triple-, booked appointment times with me; I wasted much time waiting (not to mention doubted his commitment to my success). At first, I thought that it was a mystique/rarity tactic during recruiting, but it proved to be commonplace.
    - Lots of meetings -- which led to lots of homework -- which made appointment scheduling a challenge. Again, nothing wrong with that . . . it's a tough business!

Advice to Management

- Be upfront. Nobody wants to waste time. Lay it all on the table . . . if it's not a fit, it's not a fit. If an agent followed a similar approach with clients, he'd be in a LOT of trouble!!
    - Schedule appointment time appropriately. Punctuality is a virtue!!
    - Start with prospecting. The low-hanging fruit will be there AFTER a solid prospecting effort. Prospecting skills lead to long-term success. Emphasize them!!
    - Throw the agent a bone on office supplies. If it doesn't work out, the agent probably doesn't need boxes of file folders, file tags, two- or three-hole punches, and a case of copier paper.
    - On the other hand, NYL is a solid, proven company. They must be doing something right in their process. I just feel that there could be a few less "dead bodies" on the path.

"it is good,and not stressful"

I have been working at New York Life part-time

Pros

no pressure good place to live

Cons

no chanllenge poor mangment less opportunity