New York Life - Agent | Glassdoor

"Agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Agent in Waltham, MA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are enough partners or other colleagues around to help you with anything you need. The money can be great only if you find clients, but it's amazing how NYL pays you. I've been here almost a year and I just started feeling comfortable working by myself because I work with only the minority market. I need to definitely practice speaking my language, but I love how my market is untapped!

Cons

This job can bring greed in some agents! It's best to work on your own because sooner or later the agent you've trusted will likely take your clients without your acknowledgement!

Advice to Management

Personally, my manager is a tough person. He/she puts me down when I collect a small check from the client and he/she praises those who gets the bigger check. By now, I avoid going to him if I need a question to be answered because to him, every question I ask is stupid, yet, he never gives me an answer to my question. Ethically, i think my partner is wrong by telling me to work with certain groups of people and he/she always tell me not to do certain servicing for the clients if I think I won't get any business from them! Luckily, there are enough partners I can go to and sometimes I wish I can just switch partners!

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

"Great Company Overall, Not So Great To Work For"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Schedule
    - Great Commissions
    - Many Great Insurance/Investment Products
    - Great General Staff Support

Cons

- Some employees have questionable morals/ethics... Think life insurance salesperson....
    - If you don't already have a large network of higher income people, you will struggle and resort to cold calls and maybe even door to door sales.
    - Many of the costs are not disclosed up front. Expect to pay out about $1000 up front. You are not provided with any tools of the trade such as laptops, cellphones, business cards, stationary, "freebies", etc.
    - Can not work part time initially.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring suitable candidates and not simply anyone and hope they work out.

"New York Life - Great company"

Current Employee - Agent in Bridgewater, MA
    Current Employee - Agent in Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible income. Great recognition. Support from management. Representing the best in the industry. Attorneys and CPAs respect the company. Getting involved with helping in my community. Company treats you like royalty while on company trips. Family oriented environment.

Cons

50 hour work weeks. A lot to learn. Tough to keep everything straight (forms, scheduling, applications). Many meetings. Some negative people try to drag you down.

Advice to Management

Spend money promoting New York Life locally.