New York Life - Solid Company but not the job for everyone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

"Solid Company but not the job for everyone."

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Providence, RI
Current Employee - Financial Planner in Providence, RI

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice people in general. Great flexibility in your day. Good training. The company will get you licensed quickly. If you know a lot of people who are wiling to buy insurance or invest, this may be the perfect job for you. When you have prospects they will go out of their way to help you set a plan put together.

Cons

100% commission is tough. You really need to have a good partner to do well in this company. I needed to change partners before I ever got my mailings sent out or any leads at all. By that time it was too late. They rely heavily on who you already know!

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what new agents tell you. If they say they need help in a certain area or they lack something, pay attention. Do not let partners keep telling their agents, "you know more people than you think you do." They may not know the right kind of people! Get ahead of this and genuinely help them develop a book of business, not just harass the people they do know.

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

1. "NY Life: The Company You Keep Away From"

Former Employee - Vendor Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vendor Manager in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent cafeteria at HQ. They sponsor at least two Toastmasters clubs. Car service home if you work late.

Cons

Poor management in IT Procurement. slow to make decisions. Lots of backstabbing and favoritism. Antiquated procurement policies and procedures that don't allow for the empowerment of the people doing the buying, negotiating and vendor management. Very antiquated management of employees especially when they work late; they still expect you to be in the office at 8:30 AM the next day.

Advice to Management

Trust your people more. Allow them to engage vendors/speed up contract signings. Treat vendors more respectfully and finally, try paying your bills.

"The worst experience of my career."

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Tampa, FL

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

The corporate mentality here is horrible. The Peter Principle is in full effect. The human resources department is a complete and utter joke. There is rampent favortism which hurts overall morale. They have absolutely no interest in the employee handbook what so ever. They are very clearly only trying to not get sued. I really enjoyed working there at first, but the second you have an issue you are on your own.

Advice to Management

I think that if the management would take a few moments to actually listen to thier employees, they would do a world of good. Everyone knows, once morale is gone, so is productivity, and profit.