New York Public Library - Got fired Over Gossip | Glassdoor

"Got fired Over Gossip"

Former Employee - Senior Page in Staten Island, NY
Former Employee - Senior Page in Staten Island, NY

I worked at New York Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-some of the coworkers are amazing, and depending who the managing librarian is, you MIGHT be treated with respect. flexible schedule for students. holidays off!

Cons

-gossip is the biggest problem in the NYPL. along with that if you are a student and working as a page, the library can fire you for any reason no matter what. because we are not protected by the union and we have no right to defend ourselves. if you are a student stay far away from being a page. you will receive no respect or appreciation for the work you do. Human Resources department is the worse people to work with and take "care" of you.

Advice to Management

give pages the right to have a union rep, and benefits and vacation. We already work for a condescending position the least you can do is help us gain respect. Too many students get fired just to cover the library's image. And when you change the libraries old ways get rid of the librarians who refuse to accept the change and treat people with no respect. this company needs a lot of help, first in giving everyone equal rights, better pay, better vacation time, and hire more people for help.

Other Employee Reviews for New York Public Library

"slow, public sector job"

Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very laid back. room for growth for junior staff.

Cons

I work in ITG and find it a bit behind everything in terms of technology. It's a small organization, so your exposure to tech is limited. certainly no the creme of the crop..

"Good cause, Excellent benefits, Rigid Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, Excellent opportunities for librarians working in specialized fields, Unusually high compensation for librarians, Supportive learning and development department. The opportunity to work at one of the best libraries in the world.

Cons

Lots of uncertainty about funding and constant threat of lay-offs. Evenings and weekends are usually required even in positions that would not normally require them--professionals who are not librarians. Very active rumor mill.

Advice to Management

The flat organizational structure seems to be more of a myth than a reality. The only evidence I saw of it in my tenure there was a sharp reduction in administrative support, and executive responsibility without empowering professional and clerical staff to take more control over their work.