New York Times - Career goldmine | Glassdoor

"Career goldmine"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Recognition and prestige. Your work shown to millions of people daily (with your name in the byline!)

Cons

It's a lot of work. Sometimes weird hours, fast deadlines and not much vacation time.

Advice to Management

Push more interesting ways to discover information online

Other Employee Reviews for New York Times

1. "A good place to mark time, but not to grow."

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

It's a great brand, and overall I was proud to say I worked at such a well-regarded institution. Additionally, (my second position there) paid decently and wasn't too hard, allowing for good work/life balance.

Cons

Bureaucracy and politics ruled. I had to start out in the telesales dept. with no benefits despite having extensive outside sales experience and was told that that was "the only way" into the sales organization. Then, when I got promoted, I found out that my partner was able to secure an outside role right out of the gate because she knew someone there. Also, management chose to manipulate compensation packages for sales people whenever it became apparent that they might have to actually pay out for superior performance.

Advice to Management

Incentives can actually inspire your workers to excel!

"A Great Place to Work, With Some Caveats"

Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY

Pros

It is the No. 1 news organization in the world. The people you work and meet with are very smart with many interests. The level of professionalism is very high. And it has an editorial page you can be proud of. It is much less along the road to profits-only than other papers. It seems to have a clear grasp of the need to adapt to media other than print and is moving rapidly to adapt.

Cons

It is a big corporation and so can be too obsessed with internal politics. Promotions too often seem to be done on whims. If you are a reporter, you have high visibility. If you are a copy editor, you are virtually invisible. And I never felt such a sense of class-consciousness, in a bad way, as I do at this place. The union at the Times is not strong, but I have seen an almost virulent anti-union sentiment in upper management , which is shocking considering how progressive the place is in other ways. Managers need to delegate more since they hire such talented people.

Advice to Management

Be more cooperative. Delegate more at all levels. Don't be so 19th-century in your attitudes toward the Guild.