New York Times - decent but highly variable experience depending on your team/manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York Times

"decent but highly variable experience depending on your team/manager"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You're furthering a mission that's actually worth something positive for the world. The technology can be very forward leaning, depending on the group you're working with. Nice office space and generally smart co-workers.

Cons

The kind of work you'll get to do can be highly variable in terms of how interesting it is based on what team you're working with. Of the major IT groups, NYTD probably gets the most interesting work on a day to day basis. Be forewarned that some of the middle management are absolutely terrible and can be very demoralizing to work for if you're unlucky enough to land on their team, and the higher management is not clueful enough to notice (or, worse, doesn't care) that some teams have double-digit annual turnover while others in the same group have zero.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to attrition of technical staff under different managers. If you've any hope of one day transcending ink-on-paper, NYTD will likely form the core of whatever method that is.

Other Employee Reviews for New York Times

"ok"

Current Employee - Staff Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of talent. people want to do good work and it gets done.

Cons

poor life/work balance. not very family friendly.

2. "THE BEST COMPANY I ever worked in !!!"

Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the New York Times Company as a summer trainee in '11 and I must confess this was by far the best company I ever worked in. I was summer trainee in Internal Audit, everything was really great. HR was almost perfect really present, training was done the best way I've seen and can figure out... It was in New York Offices and we had Freedom to work as much and move or learn. We met most of the teams... Anything you can imagine, was great in a word.

Cons

No idea. Honestly. Probably the financial situation of the newspaper? This was shortly before Jane's dissmissal.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get money ; useless advice as they probably starve to reach this aim right now.