Newland Communities - Great place to work when real estate is booming. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Newland Communities

"Great place to work when real estate is booming."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

This is a great place to work when real estate is booming. They pay well and give big bonuses. They have lots of social events and spare no expense at these event.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic expectations and expects people to work nights and weekends to meet those expectations. They prefer to hire outside, rather than promote from within. When money gets tight, bonuses disappear, raises get slashed, social events get canceled. Yet they continue to hire VP's while they're laying people off.

Advice to Management

Have some faith in the people that work for you and promote from within.

Other Employee Reviews for Newland Communities

"It might have been better had I been in a bigger office."

Former Employee - Administrative and Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative and Marketing Assistant

Pros

I worked for the Marketing Department, which had the most thorough style guide that I've ever seen so a lot of energy and time was spent in creating their plan. Also, Newland partners with other organizations (i.e. Life is Good) to "give back" to the communities they build in. I was most impressed with how hard they tried to improve the quality of the lifestyle their creating in their communities (i.e. parks, fitness centers, LEED certifications). Newland tries to improve communication between their home office and regional offices (which they seem to accept that their are challenges in this area). The year I left, they just unveiled a company-wide intranet which was very nice. Finally, when the market is doing well they have an excellent bonus structure that I wish other companies would adopt.

Cons

Newland relies too heavily on communication via email and the intranet. Frequently, what is said is misinterpeted which causes problems between employees that could be prevented if a phone call was made or a meeting in person. The small satellite offices get neglected by their regional office. Also, they treat their regions as a "whole" instead of looking at the individual communities that make up that region. Our community was the highest performing community in the region but since our region was performing the lowest, everyone was treated as if they weren't working hard enough to meet their goals. This creates an unfair working envirnoment.

Advice to Management

Keep better tabs on your regional offices, require them to work closely with all their satellite offices! Take the time to praise the individual communities that are doing a great job, not just the high performing REGIONS. Try to keep spirits high even when the market is low. I understand riffing positions to save dollars but this also results in people being stretched thin because they are performing the work of three people and getting little to no recognition for it. A little praise would go a long way and it is FREE. Pay close attention to the moral of the employees in your satellite offices, not just your home office or regional offices.

"Old company that changed from the inside out"

Former Employee - Work Horse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Work Horse in San Diego, CA

Pros

The 3 original founders of the company are wonder people and great leaders

Cons

As the company grew during the real estate boom and as the 3 original founders aged, it was very natural for them to start on a succession plan for the company. This meant bringing in more middle and senior management. However some of their choices were outright poor. This lead to a drastic change in company culture as well as high turn over.

Advice to Management

I believe a lot of the new management that was brought in is now gone. I know for sure one of their worst hires is gone now, so that's a very positive thing. I guess I would say try to get back what made you successful up until the boom. The company has been around for over 20 years and when I first started it was a great place to work.