Next Step Living - You can start your career here, but don't expect to build one, at least not in the Connecticut office. | Glassdoor
  1. "You can start your career here, but don't expect to build one, at least not in the Connecticut office."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Next Step Living full-time

Pros

Decent work/life balance, laid back office culture. My manager was truly exceptional and always went out of her way to make sure I had the tools I needed to succeed here and be supported. Not your typical 9-5 cubicle environment, every day is certainly unique!

Cons

I'm really torn. When I started I loved this company because I loved the idea of working somewhere I could believe in and that had such a fun, dynamic atmosphere. I quickly realized that the outreach department is essentially nothing more than sales, and of late has become more like working for a home improvement company than an environmental, mission-focused company. My problems with NSL lie almost exclusively within the Connecticut office where I worked, though. The office is mostly comprised of twenty somethings, many of whom have never had a real job before working at NSL and have little to no managerial experience. When there are promotions in the CT outreach department, they are exclusively handed out to the existing managers' friends, not people who have earned them. (Note: I was not in outreach when I left, so this is not just a bitter person who didn't get promoted.) There are too often problems with the building the office is located in (heat sometimes just breaks in the middle of the winter for days at a time!), little transparency into pay, and communication across all fronts, particularly with headquarters in Boston. Finally (and most damning for me) I stopped believing in the company when it transitioned to selling products that are more about profit and less about actual net carbon impact.

Next Step Living2015-03-12

Next Step Living Response

May 15, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candid feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed our unique culture and that you felt well-supported by your manager. Though we pride ourselves on being a mission driven organization, ultimately, we are a for-profit company. In order to continue growing and making a measurable impact on energy consumption, we need to have a sustainable business model, which means focusing on products that will not only have a net carbon impact, but also be profitable for the company. Due to our rapid growth, we do have a number of managers that were promoted into their roles very quickly. We consider many factors when making hiring and promotion decisions and we take those decisions very seriously. As a company, we are working hard to ensure that managers at all levels are equipped with the training and tools they need to be successful leaders.

1. "Home Energy Advisor"

Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living

Pros

The job offered a competitive salary and a nice commission structure. It is a self serving job for the independent employee.

Cons

Jobs are not always guaranteed and you can have some weeks where work is very minimal. The company structure changes frequently and it can be difficult to adjust at times.

Next Step Living2016-04-07
  2. "It was nice while it lasted"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Next Step Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company mission . Great atmosphere.

Cons

They just took on too much too quick

Next Step Living2019-10-03

Discover more reviews about Next Step Living.