NextFab - Do not recommend | Glassdoor

"Do not recommend"

I worked at NextFab part-time

Pros

You will learn a lot of skills and play with some cool toys. Some employees are pretty great people and you will learn a lot from them as well. The main positive was I gained skills that helped with a career move. However I wish I just joined as a member to get those skills.

Cons

Although you will undoubtedly learn a lot in any position, you will not have time to work on personal projects as you will be so overworked it is near impossible to come in on your time off. Shop salaries are laughable, some dedicated employees who have been there many years make less than 15/hour. Other salaries are all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to why certain managers make 20k more than others.... Some members are like family, which is awesome, but also leads to a lot of dirty laundry being aired around members. Gossip. 24/7. About everything and everyone, including members, employees, and management. Policies, procedures, and expectations are constantly being changed. That is expected in a new company but it's been around long enough that that can't be an excuse any longer. Hopefully the newest batch of employees will stick around so some things can actually take hold and remain constant. But they won't be paid well enough to stick around too long. Like another reviewer stated, there are expectations that you may never know or hear about until in a sit down meeting with HR explaining a bad performance review. With no fore warning. If you work here you're expected to go above and beyond by reading people's minds of what they want from you. Good luck. Once you get somewhat settled into your role you will suddenly be expected to watch all the shops. Except you had no real training in any of them. And it's at night when the lucky managers already left. Oh, the hours are terrible. Unless you like working nights and every weekend. Don't fall for any talk of "flexibility" unless it is you being flexible on giving up your holidays as well.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they deserve. You would be nothing without the shop supervisors.

NextFab2017-07-19

Other Employee Reviews

"Home away from Home"

Current Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NextFab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

What a wonderful community I've stumbled upon, I am truly blessed to work here. They give employees every opportunity to advance. HR improves all the time. They encourage and cultivate creativity, professional development, and positive interactions. I enter the building everyday excited to work towards rewarding and meaningful goals.

Cons

Can be demanding as it is still a small company that makes you put on many different hats.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!!!

NextFab2018-01-10
  2. "Drastically Improved"

I have been working at NextFab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I see a lot of negative reviews on here, but I think it's definitely worth talking about the efforts of management to listen and take critique in the past 18 months or so. Roles are being more clearly defined, there is a new, fantastic HR presence, and the team has been very well built out with both the technical and managerial staff. Recommendations for improvement are taken seriously, and acted on. If you're... considering a job here, know that it's not a typical job.... but that this is what makes it such an awesome job to have. In a given day you'll interact with both engineers covered in sawdust and office staff. Everyone is excited to make things, explore new ideas, and see what they can do with burgeoning technology. The business has several divisions to it: educating the public, supporting startup/early stage companies, doing in-house contract work, working with overseas and global partners, and renting space. Generally, they promote from within, provide a lot of opportunity for professional development and growth, and support you in a positive way. Also there is a taco shop in the ground floor of the building. Staff get discount tacos. Discount. Tacos.

Cons

To succeed, you'll need to be able to self-manage. I enjoy this, personally, but for someone who requires a lot of guidance or hand-holding, it might be a bit jarring to have to juggle and manage your time efficiently. The schedule is a bit non-traditional. Office staff work 9:30-6pm, and depending on the role technical staff either work 9:30-6 or 1:30-close. Some staff are asked to work weekend days with their... standard off day being a weekday. It's necessary because the facilities are open to the public on days when they would be free to learn and make, but it's a definite thing that can shape your life as an employee. Salaries are not as high as they might be elsewhere. You do get a large amount of paid time off, free membership to the makerspace, and a standardly okay benefits package, though.

NextFab2017-12-06

Discover more reviews about NextFab.