NextFab - Save Yourself | Glassdoor

"Save Yourself"

I worked at NextFab full-time

Pros

You’ll have a close encounter during your employment with an individual who will whole heartedly demonstrate to you that money does not buy happiness. Subsequently, you’ll never be able to tolerate working for another incompetent, petty, and/or disrespectful human being again, having truly gotten your fill working for Nextfab for what will be no longer than a 6 to 12 month period of employment.

Cons

You’re most likely reading this because the entire staff resigns annually and you came across a job posting. Several job postings. Several acres of red flags blowing in the breeze. Your phone is ringing. They’re calling you to make you an offer that is $10k less than you reasonably asked for in that stuffy interview. Go to the blender. Put your phone in the blender. Puree it. Take a tranquil walk by a pond,... reminiscing about that time a stranger who formally worked at Nextfab saved you a tremendous amount of time and mental wellbeing by steering you clear of the nightmare that it would inevitably become by writing this review. Enjoy your days- you talented, unscathed human being! . . .You’re still reading. . . did I stutter? Do you think it’ll somehow play out differently for you? Because of your passion? Or maybe you are on the fence because of the positive reviews below that were so connivingly crafted by the company’s current C-levels. Well, this ghost of Nextfab’s past will tell you more of this story for the last time. Not for your sake, but rather for their own closure. That’s right, you’ll literally require a multifaceted process of finding closure after quitting Nextfab that you’ll have to factor in months of ceremonious soul searching and reflecting and remorse for that period in your life that you’ll never be able to buy back. There will be this blinding optimism you have when you start- That all your hobbies, your personal interests, your creativity will finally tie into your career, right?! NO. If it did, would this “dream" job you’re naively pining for really have been vacated by three to four people in the past two years? Would your entire department be filled with fresh faces? Only to collectively burn through a honeymoon period of employment that will last no longer than a Kardashian marriage. And then quit. And then repeat. You'll have this hope. That you’ll be able to learn a lot. And teach members of this makerspace a lot. The truth is, you’ll be so degraded by the time you throw in the towel there that you will have actually unlearned truths- fundamental truths about yourself and your worth as a human being. In the wake of your employment, you’ll have to slowly relearn that you are a human being who should be treated with respect. And as Nextfab management continues to disrespect you after you resign by going out of their way to sabotage your next career endeavor (I wish I was exaggerating here. . .), you will realize you were dealing with people that are so petty and so small that your anger will subside and, against all odds, you’ll actually begin to feel sorry for them and the sad web that they’ve woven in this misconstrued attempt to better the creative community of Philadelphia. There’s this myth written in the fictitious positive reviews on this page that what they’re doing at Nextfab is so new and cutting edge that they have to make it up as they go along. And boy oh boy will they make it up! The truth is that there is a vast array of makerspaces and coworking spaces throughout the world (that should receive your resume instead) who don’t play a messy game with their pawns. . .human capital. . . human employees. . .people. . . We are people! Stop messing with our livelihood and quality of life by employing us. That is all.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say to you. This website says I need to put a minimum of 20 words here. I guess I'll comply by copy and pasting a definition that is oh so foreign to you. Re·spect rəˈspekt/ noun 1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

NextFab2015-12-14

Other Employee Reviews

"Home away from Home"

Current Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NextFab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

What a wonderful community I've stumbled upon, I am truly blessed to work here. They give employees every opportunity to advance. HR improves all the time. They encourage and cultivate creativity, professional development, and positive interactions. I enter the building everyday excited to work towards rewarding and meaningful goals.

Cons

Can be demanding as it is still a small company that makes you put on many different hats.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!!!

NextFab2018-01-10
  2. "Drastically Improved"

I have been working at NextFab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I see a lot of negative reviews on here, but I think it's definitely worth talking about the efforts of management to listen and take critique in the past 18 months or so. Roles are being more clearly defined, there is a new, fantastic HR presence, and the team has been very well built out with both the technical and managerial staff. Recommendations for improvement are taken seriously, and acted on. If you're... considering a job here, know that it's not a typical job.... but that this is what makes it such an awesome job to have. In a given day you'll interact with both engineers covered in sawdust and office staff. Everyone is excited to make things, explore new ideas, and see what they can do with burgeoning technology. The business has several divisions to it: educating the public, supporting startup/early stage companies, doing in-house contract work, working with overseas and global partners, and renting space. Generally, they promote from within, provide a lot of opportunity for professional development and growth, and support you in a positive way. Also there is a taco shop in the ground floor of the building. Staff get discount tacos. Discount. Tacos.

Cons

To succeed, you'll need to be able to self-manage. I enjoy this, personally, but for someone who requires a lot of guidance or hand-holding, it might be a bit jarring to have to juggle and manage your time efficiently. The schedule is a bit non-traditional. Office staff work 9:30-6pm, and depending on the role technical staff either work 9:30-6 or 1:30-close. Some staff are asked to work weekend days with their... standard off day being a weekday. It's necessary because the facilities are open to the public on days when they would be free to learn and make, but it's a definite thing that can shape your life as an employee. Salaries are not as high as they might be elsewhere. You do get a large amount of paid time off, free membership to the makerspace, and a standardly okay benefits package, though.

NextFab2017-12-06

Discover more reviews about NextFab.