Nielsen - Stagnant and Miserly - Do not join this company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

"Stagnant and Miserly - Do not join this company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working Remotely - once you know how to function there, they can't train someone fast enough, so you leverage your position to work remotely
Downtown location - had a great view from my desk

Cons

-Stifling, slow culture - no matter what you think you do best or worst, no matter what you know you would be good at, you will be doing exactly what you are doing, and cannot change that.
-Intellectual development is not valued - career training is limited and specific to the industry. The caliber of the average employee noticeably decreased while I was there
-Cost cutting - my apartment doorman gets a higher bonus than I do, paid half of what my friends make
-Powerless management - everyone knows that employees are treated unfairly, no one can do anything about it because politics are very important

Advice to Management

Vicki - do you remember as an analyst learning that you cannot always trust the data? NA BASES performance numbers might look good, but that is just because anyone who leaves can get a lower score, leaving the higher scores for people there. You already know what this makes - a brain drain. Since I was there, everyone who I respected in the office left, and I had no choice unfortunately but to do the same.

Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen

"Getting Worse Every Single Day"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people are generally nice and collaborative. The location downtown is convenient for most people. It's close to mass transit for both city dwellers and suburbanites.

Cons

The rewards and recognition system at Nielsen is completely broken. Bonus payouts are purposely made a mystery and the company provides "fuzzy" explanations if you ask for clarity on how they are calculated. Merit increases are extremely low and most people get them on an 18-24 month cycle. The key to success at Nielsen is to come into work and smile every day. It's a completely conflict avoiding culture, meaning that people that have learned how to smile no matter how bad things are get rewarded. Never make waves!

Advice to Management

Do something to fix the rewards and recognition system. Compensation needs a complete overhaul and the idea of identifying 20% of your workforce as substandard performers is an outdated/unproven model (GE abandoned it years ago).

"Nielsen is a great starting place to learn and move on"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

Nielsen provides a great learning environment and team atmosphere

Cons

Career advancement is rare due to lack of resources and "Do more with very little" mentality from senior management

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and enhancement of products