Nielsen - Horrible employee treatment, no payraises, no work/life balance or job security | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

"Horrible employee treatment, no payraises, no work/life balance or job security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Telecommute allowed
2. Employee bonuses (at the time I left anyway)
3. I don't work there anymore

Cons

Ok, let me make it as brief as I can:

1. Outsourcing galore. You WILL lose your job sooner or later. Nearly everyone I ever worked with at Nielsen has either been laid off or has left the company of their own accord.

2. At the time I left the company, pay raises were not being given, even though the company fully admitted they were doing better financially than most other companies.

3. No work life balance. Management will tell you there are 7 business days per week, and this includes nights, weekends, holidays AND VACATION. Most people find themselves working 7 days a week trying to meet the unrealistic deadlines promised to customers. Guess what? The delivery date is not met, and is pushed back. So all of that hard work was for nothing. Rinse & Repeat for the next big project, and the next one, and the next one. One person is asked to do the workload of 2 or 3, which also means that you are so deeply entrenched in your role that there is no opportunity to do anything new. In other words, lack of career opportunities, unless you want to be a "lead" which basically means at Nielsen that you are doing the work of a manager, but without the title and pay of an actual manager. The Indian contractors do the hands-on work, and the American workers who are left are being forced into the "lead" roles.

4. Employee morale is horribly low. Expect to get yelled at by certain managers on a regular basis.

5. Lousy pay. I left my "Senior" level position at Nielsen for a Junior level position (to work with much more marketable technologies) at a different company and did not even take a pay cut. What's that tell you?

Advice to Management

Try treating your employees like human beings.

Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen

"Work/life balance? What's that?"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good in house education opportunities provided by the company
    Many intelligent coworkers

Cons

Hard work not rewarded
    Constantly need to be on your guard as execs will throw you under bus to protect themselves
    Career development by managers is non-existent
    Cost above quality mentality
    Offshore, offshore, offshore
    Moving away from co-location

Advice to Management

If you want to be a cutting edge media company, you're going to have to innovate, you're going to have to spend some money and you're going to have to realize your execs are truly out of touch with where the online, tv, mobile world is headed and how quickly it's headed there. Wake up or you'll NEVER catch up.

2. "Educational"

Current Employee - Client Service Intern in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Client Service Intern in San Juan, PR

Pros

Learm alot about the industry

Cons

No pay
    Vague about future oportunities
    Test for entry level are excrutiationg