Nielsen - Great Company for Young Employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

"Great Company for Young Employees"

Current Intern - Professional Services in Chicago, IL
Current Intern - Professional Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nielsen as an intern

Pros

Big emphasis on developing young talent pool, so there are a lot of company wide programs for interns and new hires to get them more engaged and enthusiastic about the company. Office culture varies greatly depending on the location, however that culture always seems to be the best fit for that office and all the people are generally good people to work with.

Cons

Compensation could be better for beginning position. However, the big meritocracy policy sets up successful workers for appropriate promotions.

Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen

"Soul crushing"

Former Employee - Programmer in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Programmer in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

twenty word minimum twenty word minimum twenty word minimum twenty word minimum twenty word minimum twenty word minimum twenty word minimum

Cons

We were a small company absorbed by Nielsen and everything went to pot once we were bought.

"Unfair performance determination methods"

Former Employee - Bilingual Ad Writer in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Bilingual Ad Writer in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria has a nice variety of food and great theme lunches. Plenty of parking.

Cons

Performance reviews are very subjective and unfair. Not everyone writes the same and upper management is quick to let go of employees without giving them a chance to improve. Large work area, very noisy with no privacy at all. I felt like I was working in a room with phone operators for the U.N. Administrative staff talks down to people and are complacent when it comes to handling issues that affect you.

Advice to Management

Never assume your staff is properly trained. Change your methodology of determining whether or not an employee is meeting your satisfactory requirements. Respect mature employees, just because the majority of the staff is comprised of young people don't overlook the treasure you have with those who have more experience. Also try to communicate with your team face to face instead of just using email or instant messaging.