Nintendo of America - Product Tester | Glassdoor

"Product Tester"

Former Employee - Prodtuct Tester in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Prodtuct Tester in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-11 month, 40 hour a week contract.
-Stable hours, 8-5 with one hour lunch.
-Discount on Nintendo products.
-Access to the company cafeteria, which is amazing.
-Your own desk that you can decorate if you choose.

Cons

-Very little chance for moving up in the company.
-Two month mandatory wait between contracts.
-Many young and immature people there who seem to think that they will get to make video games.
-Lower pay compared with other testing companies.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on the employees. Nintendo has lost some great people because other companies offered to treat them better. Please do not rely on massive amount of applicants to keep your company thriving. It takes good people, not just people.

Other Employee Reviews for Nintendo of America

"My Dream Job"

Current Employee - Product Tester in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a passion and love for the industry, this is the perfect place to work.

Cons

Advancment is slow, but doable as long as you work hard and continue to show self-improvment.

Advice to Management

Talk with your employees and implement what you can, but make sure the you show that you care about them and the company you both represent.

"Great job, horrible atmosphere / management."

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time

Pros

Employees get decent discounts on products. The campus is nice (soccer field, tennis court, etc) , and "Nintendo" looks great on a resume.

Cons

Nintendo is oddly a harsh work environment. You'd think working with video games all day would be great (even knowing you'd be playing the same game for a possibility of six months). You test games alongside your coworkers, who some are great, but some don't seem to grasp what they're doing. At the end of a project, one employee can have an impressive amount of issues found in a game, and the person next to them will have close to none, because they're too busy talking about getting drunk last weekend, who they had sex with recently, or making fun of someone else who's in ear shot. It's VERY unprofessional. At the drop of a dime, the agency testers you are hired through will call you, and tell you there's not a project for you. This is to be expected, it's a contract job, and they warn you about this prior to starting. However, I know plenty of people who wont be put on a project who are great employees. They have a high bug count, stay quiet and busy while they're working, and are wonderful people. Then, and this is true (I'm not just bias), I know employees who have leaked information online and broken consoles, and they STILL have positions! They've been reported, and I don't know what someone has to do to stay after they've done something they should have a law suit against them for, but I don't want to be a part of it. When starting work, you have to take a drug test. I understand people break this rule with marijuana (it's Washington), but I know employees who have admitted to missing work because they're going through withdrawal to people at the hiring agency, and they also still have projects. All in all, the job is great, but I can't help but be bitter towards management.

Advice to Management

Take a better look at the employees you bring back for projects, and treat product testers less poorly. Every type of employee at Nintendo is included in work parties, raffles, and tournaments, except for the testers. If we didn't feel like dirt, maybe we would stick around.