Nokia - Great place to settle | Glassdoor

"Great place to settle"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Nokia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best work culture in software industry.. no pressure at all for work. good money but not the best. Always counted as a team

Cons

more politics for giving appreciation and hikes. upper management lacks in understanding who actually works and who simply portrays themselves as workers

Other Employee Reviews for Nokia

1. "Generally a very good company that treats employees well."

I have been working at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Has been a terrific company to work for- great benefits and much care about individuals. Very forward thinking about technology and socially active internally. It is also the most ethical company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Economic challenges as they move forward with a new OS. Also it is losing some (much) of that Finnish nature that has served it so well from a human-relations perspective (I know very few people that actually quit Nokia- rather they got reluctantly laid off).

Advice to Management

Don't lose Respect for the Individual. I experienced a "muting" of our voices when upper management visited- do not go down that path. Nokia's openness was a very strong point (and still advocated by the CEO, but somewhat getting lost in some middle management). Also, stop the turf wars- they are hurting the company.

"Nice place to work, decent salary, good team spirit"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Espoo (Finland)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Espoo (Finland)

I have been working at Nokia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I always have been happy with the amount of experts you can work with here. Information is freely exchanged and when you are asking a qualified question from someone, you will get good responses. Overtime is not encouraged and it is easy to adjust work and spare time. E.g. work a Saturday and then take a Friday off. Salary is industry-average. Company car policy is a bit weird (depending on CO2 exhausta leasing car is paid for between 25-50%). I would not consider it as a good benefit. Yearly bonuses are not too good as company is currently in rough times, but something in the area of 3-5% is always there. In good years it's 10-15%.

Cons

Sometimes HR saves money in the wrong places, e.g. stop renting in-door parking places. Due to current rough times business trips are rather rare. So if that's something you're after, you definitely need to go for some customer-facing job.

For some constant restructuring (and layoffs) might look scary, but you learn to ignore them after staying in the company for many years. It affects people, but if you're an expert and not exactly in an area that is not really needed anymore, you'll survive.

Advice to Management

Continue restructuring,but keep in mind that it is the experts that you want to keep in the company; even if the cost more.