KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Noom has it's Up's and Down's

Apr 19, 2021 - Remote Health Coach in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Truly the biggest positive aspects about working for Noom are the flexible-ish work hours and ability to work from home. Typically you can set your own work hours, but need to keep your working hours and time you'll be away from your dashboard updated in slack. It's not advised to leave for more than an hour or two, and with the caseloads it can be tricky to be "flexible". I found myself having to work over 40 hours to complete my work. But, when the case loads are lower it can be fun to go work from a coffee shop, park, in your bed, on your couch, etc. There are also some incredible people that work at Noom. Of course each company will have it's "Karens" but there are some true gems who work for this company. Personally, that is a big reason I stuck around so long because I enjoyed the people who were in my work group. I can imagine if you didn't love your work group though, it could be a huge challenge. Noom also sends out fun swag once in awhile, and even has a holiday gift exchange where you can be a "secret santa" for someone which can make you feel a bit more connected when working remotely. Another benefit is to work for a Start Up. It looks good on a resume, especially because Noom is growing and more people know about it now. Although you aren't required to become a board certified coach, they give you a pathway there and even without that certification, you can still hold the title of a health coach which feels neat. Noom also recently started offering a free Better Help subscription which, can be such a huge benefit especially when the health insurance can be a bit costly and not have much coverage. They also seem to be starting to care a bit more about social and racial justice and have made donations to different organizations and took a stand for injustices that were happening around the world. They created a group to work on inclusion and diversity within the company, and would provide resources to the company to allow people to buy educational books on social and racial injustice.

Cons

First, I want to say that Noom seems like "all that" when you're in the honeymoon phase. We have all been in it, but this job truly doesn't feel sustainable long term and you can see that from other reviews from people who have worked there for some time. Often times there can be extremely high caseloads. A "low" caseload can be anywhere from 250 (at it's lowest) to 350. Even still, those numbers sound shocking to be "coaching" that many people at once. In it's height, it can be anywhere from 350-450 during busy seasons. Each year, I found that we would hit a busy season and that rush wouldn't stop for MONTHs with promises of finding ways to lower case loads without much real change. It feels extremely shallow to believe you can put your heart and soul into making meaningful conversations with clients when you have 400 others to speak to and for this reason it can be hard to follow along, lowering your quality of coaching and frustrating the people using Noom. There typically are a lot of tech issues, so while your job is a Health Coach a lot of the time you will spend working around tech/payment problems with frustrated customers. Although there are channels to learn about all of the bugs and problems going on, it can be hard to keep up because things change every day and there is so much new information to take in with protocol coaching changes, working with your own case load, and figuring out bugs. The pay is low with not much of a chance to grow. The wages start from $18 and while you can get pay increases for various positions, they are hard to acquire. While this may be a normal growing rate, after taxes and the long hours it can feel that you are putting in a lot of effort for not much of a reward. Adding on top of that the insurance rates that are taken out if you need medical insurance and you might need to get a second job. Trying to move up isn't easy, and because they hire people in with masters and lots of experience at the same pay rate, these people are obviously going to move up faster so if you don't have much experience, good luck trying to move up. There are guilds you can join, but it's essentially extra work with no pay. You get assigned projects and tasks and the benefit from doing that is just to say you were a part of that project, no pay increase or lower case load. My biggest con is the mental stress that this job will bring. The company values "positivity" which at the surface truly is great, but can often times truly is just toxic positivity. There isn't much room for honest disagreements or frustrations. Although they encourage you to share your feelings, you can easily be singled out. This could either be in the weekly survey where you are asked to rate how your week is and share how you feel. If you don't rate it high enough, higher ups will contact you and ask why you feel this way. Although this may feel caring on the surface, it feels more of a way to single people out. Even at a meeting, a higher up brought up that people were saying the culture has "toxic positivity" to which they responded that they didn't believe that existed. Along with this, you will see people who suffer from eating disorders and who hate themselves each day. Of course, not everyone is like this but after coaching people you will find that the root of most issues come from a lack of self love, not their weight. If you have ever struggled with how you feel about yourself, beware because this job truly had such a big toll on my mental health. Although it's "not a diet", it is. It is not uncommon to have someone who truly is healthy tell you how fat their feel, or look, or how they won't be happy until they are tiny. Again, the protocol is to really have them reflect on what makes that healthy and to try to get them to see a different perspective but it truly takes such a hard toll that I find not a lot of people talk about in their reviews. Lastly, I would like to say that it can feel scary to voice your honest opinions because of how they monitor any negative feedback. There is a channel in slack where any negative posts, Tik Tok's, Youtube videos, or reviews are sent for people to look into. It can feel scary to give your honest, anything but nice opinions and worry that you will end up on this page or if you give any critical review of Noom itself, it will end up there.

Continue reading
    18 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Health Coach

Jan 21, 2022 - Virtual Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, Great atmosphere, Kind coworkers, growth mindset

Cons

Current salary is incredibly low.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If We're Top 1%- Pay Us Like It

Dec 20, 2021 - Goals Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible hours -Weekly wellness classes (free) -Genuine, nice people -The work we do does help people

Cons

-Low pay & no bonuses -Very high caseloads at times -Constant changing protocol can get a little messy -Rarely openings to try new roles and if there is it is often only with a week's notice so you have to make quick decision -You essentially have to volunteer time in other areas of the company outside of normal job description to get promoted

Continue reading
    22 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Noom.