Nordstrom - Great necessary entry level position to start a career with Nordstrom | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Great necessary entry level position to start a career with Nordstrom"

Current Employee - Stock Support Team in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Stock Support Team in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Warm, caring environment with encouraging environment to advance. I don't wake up in the morning a dread work. I look forward to it... hard to say that about other "stock" positions at other companies. Nordstrom very seldom-ly hires outside of the Nordstrom family of employees. So the only way to get higher lever jobs is to advance with in the company. Anyone and everyone has access to direct contact to EVERY person in the company including the Nordstrom family--and they respond back!

Cons

Everyone starts at an entry level position and must advance up from there. This is both good and bad. It can be very difficult to make enough at an entry level position to pay for modern standard of living.

Advice to Management

It is an honor to work for the Nordstrom company and family. I would love to say that I am enabled to give all of my best efforts to the company but unfortunately entry level pay is not enough to support basic standards of living in this economy. I work full time in the Stock Team and even with all those hours I still have to work 30 hours at another job just to make 95% of my basic expenses. I have higher expenses because I have high student loan debt and other debt from being unemployed for as long as I have been. Thank you for playing your role in remedying that situation by employing me, now please help us just this much more by nudging the pay to support basic living expenses that now must include high student loan debt. This is only a suggestion. I completely trust the decisions of the executives and managers of the Nordstrom company to use their good judgement. And I am okay if that means Nordstrom can not implement the change I have suggested.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Fantastic place to work for people with personal drive!"

Former Employee - Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Miami, FL

Pros

Benefits are top-notch, The customers are exciting to interact with, Many other employees and managers are real gems.

Cons

As with any Point of Sale driven business, I have seen some tensions arise between salespeople.

Advice to Management

Help to nurture a good employee community by recognizing employees for teamwork in group-performance as well as the sometimes over-shadowing individual performance. In the long run, a happy department is a thriving department. A thriving department is a customer friendly department.

"Consistently Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Sales in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Brea, CA

Pros

Challenging, good company vision, discount.

Cons

HR is a joke, so don't waste your time unless you really enjoy soulless machines.
    It's all about gossip, backstabbing, and complaining. You're treated like a child, and it shows in the staff that have been there forever: they act like children.

There's no clear rules at Nordstrom. They like to say that everything is a guideline, but there really isn't any clear direction for employees to take. Departments make their own rules with regard to "saving sales," who goes home early, who gets fired, who gets hired, etc.

They claim to have an "upside down pyramid" approach to employment, but that's clearly not the case. Management acts like it walks on water, and clearly thinks its better than the employees who are treated as expendable numbers. If I hadn't had previous experience in sales in a department store, I would've failed immediately.

I've survived at this job by realizing that as long as you sell well, you can honestly get away with saying and doing anything. Never have I worked a job where it's VERY clear that favoritism exists between management and employees.

I've challenged the company several times on policies they try to enforce on employees and never really have gotten clear answers as to why certain policies exist.

If a return comes back at Nordstrom, FOR ANY REASON, it comes out of your pay. How absurd is that? It wouldn't bother me so much, but there is NO hourly pay. It's obscene that if a customer has a valid concern with a purchase (like a defect, snag, etc), that I have to lose pay. It's also INSANE how Nordstrom lets thieves get away with murder --- targeting salespeople and buying tons on fraudulent cards (gift cards, stolen credit cards), and then the thieves return for cash.

Working here is like a trainwreck. You cannot walk away because it's fascinating to look at, but the longer you stand there, the more it stinks.

Management often travels in cliques around the store, gossiping (while they collect their salaries).

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the Nordstrom culture. Management doesn't hold the same ideals it used to. It's no longer about the company vision, but about money money money... The original Nordstrom was about service, and understood that good service = good profits.