Nordstrom - it was fun ,but became very consumed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"it was fun ,but became very consumed"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

great possibilities to make money. i had good management if you are a goodseller than management loves you. if you are a great seller you will be promoted quickly as well.

Cons

it is all commission nordstrom . i felt like nordstrom does not really care about their employees because of this. at the end of the day it is all about luck

Advice to Management

let employees you care be encouraging at all times let them know what they are truly getting themselves into before they start and do not sell them a job

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Depends on department/store that you work in"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

Opportunities- go to a higher end store in a nicer area, where its easier to sell. Company really likes to promote from within so there are opportunities. I'm out of the Retail sector and working in the Corporate level and surprisingly having Nordstrom on my resume has actually really helped me. Companies respect the Nordstrom brand, and I've utilized the customer services skills I've learned here that have really helped in my career.

Great return policy so there is really not much of a need to argue with customers, we get lots of leeway to make those calls of returning and refunding which is nice. Great opportunities for those who didn't go to college, not a must-have for Department Managers. Coworkers are sociable and friendly, made some great friends here.

Cons

It really depends on the department and store that you work in. My review is for the Valley Fair location in San Jose, CA. If your store is doing well, your department is probably doing well, sales are higher, which means its easier to sell, which means you have opportunities to get promoted. I was in a struggling department which made my chances of promotion much less, Not to mention making minimum wage since it was very hard to make commission in that department.

Here in the bay area- Walnut Creek and Palo Alto would probably be the best choices to work as the sales are a lot higher due to higher income area.

Loss Prevention is suspicious of the employees (sales associates, not the managers), and would watch us equally as much as of the customers, which made me feel uncomfortable.

Store Manager is not approachable at all- in the time that I worked there she never has said a word to me other than one time where she barked at me to fix a mannequin in my department.

Low job security- saw many people fired for questionable reasons. Favoritism plays a big role here and Managers can fire those they don't like or keep friends around.

Huge disparity of base salary between Department Managers and Sales Associates- last couple of months I was there I was making hourly, minimum wage- Managers' annual income almost tripled mine. Again, this is probably not as bad if you are working in a good department, such as Womens Shoes or popular Cosmetics Lines.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the Sales Associates more- its not easy.

2. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great pay, benefits as well as paid time off. Everyone is team players

Cons

Favoritism in management and when it comes to promotions and growing withing the company. Hard to advance unless you're really close with managers