Nordstrom - STUCK IN THE RACK | Glassdoor

"STUCK IN THE RACK"

Current Employee - Department Sales Lead
Current Employee - Department Sales Lead

Pros

great pay, great hours, and cool co workers and customers

Cons

poor picks for management. the managers dont seem to care about you.. to suceed in nordstrom you have to kiss alot of butt or open 15 accounts up a day.. working hard isnt enough.. just open up accounts

Advice to Management

pick managers wisely, and give employees who truly work hard the advancement they deserve and dont give bogus excuses to why they cant transfer departments.. treat others how you want to be treated you never know when you might need them

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"I'd never work for another company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

-Promote from within philosophy
    -Great benefits
    -Ability to own your own business and run it as you see fit - managers have a lot more responsibility than most other managers in retail environments - as a dept. manager I hire and fire my own team, assistant manager, etc...
    -Sell more, make more - the more you sell (even as a manager), the more you make
    -Bonus structure for dept. managers
    -Strong company culture
    -Relocation packages when you move as a dept. manager
    -Support from upper management: store manager, HR, regional management
    -Open door policy: Ability to call anyone from your buyer to Blake Nordstrom and know you'll get them on the phone...and they'll be interested in what you're saying and do what they can to help!

Cons

-Work/life balance - hard not having many Saturdays off and working longer hours during holidays can keep you away from family, esp when you've relocated with the company. As a dept. manager my store manager encourages me to take my days off and enjoy them but there are often many responsibilities which make me feel like I need to come in on my day off
    -Inconsistent pay: managers make base plus commission and have an expectation as to how much they should sell throughout the month. These expectations can be unrealistic however - the amount of time it takes to lead a large team and keep a $4 million business going doesn't allow much time for selling, which is critical to your paycheck.

Advice to Management

No manager selling expectation - higher salary, less focus on commission for management. I want to team sell with my team and help them add on to their sales so they can make more money - not worry about my own sales. I understand leading by example but I can do that by HELPING them sell MORE vs. selling myself - I just want to support my team! There are also times during the year when there's too much "management stuff" going on for us to sell - ie - prepping for inventory, annual performance review season (writing 12 APRs is TIME CONSUMING if done properly!) and this leads to inconsistent paychecks.

"Good Company, but can be very stressful!"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

Pros

Nordstrom which is one of the most successful specialty retailers in the business. I've gained valuable work experience and I work very hard to exceed my sales goals.

Cons

However, working at Nordstrom can be very stressful. During training, the hiring staff will boast about all the money you can earn in sales. But at the end of the pay period, you'll find that you really don't earn that much because you'll be sharing your sales with other sales associates who are also heavily competiting for every cent they earn. Ultimately, it can become exhausting for everyone to compete with so many people to earn a living. Then, despite the competition, you'll constantly feel pressure to meet your sales goals (sales percentages are watched very closely at this company). If you don't consistently meet your sales goals, then your job might be on the line.

Advice to Management

the store manager and other executives enjoy making their "rounds", which are sly pop-up visits to your department to make sure that your helping customers. To them, "helping customers" means to be seen greeting and talking to customers, even if customers deny your help. You cannot even enjoy working at this company, because you are constantly on edge, worrying about that status of your job and whether or not you're meeting your sales goals and never knowing just who might "pop up" out of nowhere to make sure that you're doing your job. -- Give us a break, were doing out best!