Nordstrom - Management very poor | Glassdoor

"Management very poor"

Former Employee - Stock in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Stock in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the job...and the people I worked with, but the management needs lots of improvement.

Cons

When you are at the bottom of the employee pyramid, management treats you like trash. There is no acknowledgement for the work you do or even a thank you. Rules seem to change everyday, usually without any notice. You hear about them through the grapevine or by accident. Norstrom management seems to not have no communication with employees. When put on leave, due to lack of work, Nordstrom does not even offer or try or help find another position within the company. Discovered that Nordstrom does not hire or promote within.

Advice to Management

How about a "thank you". Management needs to give more respect to their employees. More communication needed.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Co-workers are very nice and professional. If you like selling it is a great place to work. Opportunities for management are very obtainable.

Cons

Retail holiday hours can't be avoided, but sales opportunities are great during the busy times.

Advice to Management

Don't over staff the sales floor. The right amount of people in a department leads to success for all.

"Nordstrom is an abusive, greedy company who is out of touch with the employee and the customer"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off
    20% standard employee discount (which in California covers slightly more than the sales tax)

Cons

In the cosmetics department, the number of events per year has gotten out of control. There is a major brand wide cosmetic event almost every month that they expect you to call and book appointments and pre-sell clients for, and they expect you to plan an additional incremental event EACH month...as well as call customers for OTHER brands events. (Print out your Clinique customer list to call, print out your Estee Lauder customer list, etc.) We call our customers so frequently that they tell that they feel they are being harassed. There are so many black out dates because of all of these events, that there is very little opportunity to take your due paid time off.

Additionally, upper management frequently threatens and berates certain employees that are not their favorites and gives part time employees that they prefer (not that actually sell more) more hours over those they don't. (PS I AM a favorite business manager and I find this behavior deplorable.) Also, there are always ever changing methods of tracking sales progress, paperwork protocol, personal book data entry, and standards for how the sales floor and cash wrap areas should appear so much so that no one can ever remember what is expected....including upper management! This would all be semi-tolerable if we were getting paid even vaguely appropriately for this multitude of tasks that we are expected to conduct while assisting customers in multiple areas of the department due to fact that we are frequently grossly understaffed.

However, the compensation is NOT worth it and universally every employee feels they are overworked and underpaid. We are also expected to do all of our own stock communication to restock our cases with product which usually ends up as an endless back and forth with our buyers as they restock us with what THEY prefer to send, not what we actually request based on customer needs. There are also a myriad of serious problems brought on by the various lines' account executives and coordinators but that is a WHOLE other story that could fall into another review category...

Advice to Management

Cut back on the ridiculous amount of events to three events per fiscal year and two cosmetic brand new product launches per fiscal year. Leave the business managers alone that are conducting their business successfully (rather than always demanding more) and appropriately help those who are lagging. Stick with one set of standards for at least six months and then re-examine and tweak if it is in fact NOT working. Keep coordinator and account executive involvement to a reasonable, helpful minimum. Staff the floor appropriately, END blatant favoritism.