Nordstrom - Best Company and Learning Experience Ever! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Best Company and Learning Experience Ever!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at Nordstrom when I was 16 as a stock girl. Although it was not the most glamourous job, I learned a lot and gained appreciation for the behind-the-scenes tasks that need to be done in order for the store to function. Then I progressed and became a Cashier in BP which is a high schooler's dream. Now, 5 years later, I am a seasonal Sales Associate in the Rail. I love the experience I have had at Nordstrom. The commission-based salary is very motivating and makes you feel accomplished when you open that pay check and know how had you worked for that money. The majority of the employees are very pleasant to work with and management, for the most part, has met my standards. Overall, GREAT company! My loyalty is always with Nordstrom

Cons

Sale set-up and inventory are a drag. Also, as an employee, the Anniversary sale feels like it's never ending, but it's a great paycheck boost and at 2PM on the first day you can finally reward yourself from all your hard work during pre-select. No cons, just bitter-sweet aspects of the job!

Advice to Management

Make sure management is qualified for the position rather than "brought-up" by someone of a higher position. Also, make sure that outstanding management is recognized and rewarded.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "depends on your location and support (store manager)"

Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to use your best judgement in all situations- no need to always call the store manager
    strive for best customer service
    You can explore a lot of different careers and grow with the company..

Cons

STRESSFULL. Depending on the location and the department (S) you manage. Lots of miniscule work and so many reports to look at and deadlines to meet that the whole "customer service...on the floor coaching your team..." goes down the drain. You really need to fight for what you deserve (an assistant, higher pay, less hours?). From end of October till January = 90+ hours of work...and no overtime pay.

Advice to Management

take away some of the miniscule paperwork. Give managers the support they need even when in a small volume store is in question...

2. "A great place to grow and learn."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to grow into new positions and use initiative to find out what I wanted to do in this career.

Cons

The job is in retail therefore you must be ready to handle customers and their demands. Additionally the hours are not a typical 9-5 schedule and you must work weekends