Nordstrom - great company to learn about how to be a great leader of people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"great company to learn about how to be a great leader of people"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and salaries. Solid benefits, 401K match and profit sharing. Opportunity to grow as far as you want with ample support and great mentors.

Cons

Must be a self starter. Can not, should not rely on others to walk you through your new position in order to learn. Can take over your life and demand way more than the 40 hour work week.

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations and examples on how to get there. Keep the employee benefits as a top priority.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Nordstrom Corporate Data Center Sucks"

Former Contractor - Data Center Technician - CTE in Englewood, CO
    Former Contractor - Data Center Technician - CTE in Englewood, CO

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, discounts at nordstroms, sometimes you can get a good schedule, gym and cafeteria

Cons

Management and coworkers suck, some of the senior employees that have been there a while treat new employees like crap, some schedules really suck, you have to work 3 months days and 3 months nights

"If retail's your thing..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay if you're proactive. Lots of opportunities to move up within the company if you work hard. Great benefits and nice people. Management is supportive and wants you to succeed. The discount in the cafe, oh man.

Cons

Incredibly tiring. My department paid only on commission, which was stressful. Customers are often awful. It can also be incredibly competitive among sales associates, which I found depressing. The culture can be pretty culty at times. I had a manager advise me to drop out of college because "I could make assistant manager in a year or two."

Advice to Management

The company lines start to sound like mantras after the first hundred times, and after the second hundred times like the ramblings of a crazy person. "You are your own boss" "You wouldn't let someone into your home without saying hello, why would you let them into your store?" WHAT? Tone it down.