Nordstrom - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to move up you simply have to work hard, show you can produce sales and be vocal about it. Networking with the right people and voicing your desire to move into management really work here.

Cons

It is a big box company so you don't get a huge say in the business. You do get to run your own department in a sense, but are not able to get your hands on as many aspects as a smaller business.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Not too bad"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential (depending on the department you work in)

Generally a laid back and fun place to work if selling is your thing and it comes natural to you

Discount's (but it isn't much) however your discount is valid at "the Rack" and if you are familiar with that, it's Nordstrom stuff that has been marked down so that can be a bargain

Hour lunch!

Cash incentives for signing customers up for the "Nordstrom rewards card" and that can mean a free lunch with the 5-15 dollars you can earn for each one.

Cons

Similar to the pros:

If you are in a slow department, one that is overcrowded with employees or just one that doesn't have high priced goods like "accessories" you may have a hard time selling or making a lot of money

Some people take the whole selling culture a bit too far and literally "steal" your sales while you are working with another customer. So treachery and overall r espect for others. Before I was ever hired I read a similar excerpt about that on this site and I didn't believe it. Believe it! The selling culture and the fact that you pretty much have control over your paycheck breeds that type of behavior in certain individuals so watch out

Advice to Management

Be a little bit more up to speed with all of the functions in your respective department. It could've just been my department (kidswear) and the one directly next to me (kids shoes) but neither manager really knew how to do anything, I found myself asking them, then they'd refer me to another employee.

2. "When it's good, its really good. When it's bad, it's terrible!"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Nordstrom is good place for money hungry sales people. It's commission based (no hourly) so skys the limit with income. Customers are nice depending on location.

Cons

The return policy is so lenient, that it under values the employees. Management plays favoritism!