Nordstrom - Great company to work for...fun! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Great company to work for...fun!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Escondido, CA
Current Employee - Retail Sales in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun yet challenging. Relationship building is great. Meeting and helping customers is very rewarding.

Cons

Retail Sales is commission only. You never know what your paycheck will be.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Inverted Pyramid Theory"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nordstrom is undoubtedly the best at keeping an active and open mind to growing the company's business. They constantly work on creating a satisfying environment for their employees and customers in order to have a strong successful future. They adopt new policies into their systems and to reflect the time and generation of their current shopper/employee. Growing the company is vital and Nordstrom knows how to find/grow talent at all ages... my best Department Managers were only 23 and 26 (nearly 10 years younger than I)... they were AMAZING, made us #1, and was our strongest most fearless leaders who were positive and alongside us all as support!!!

Cons

Nordstrom implements the "Inverted Pyramid" theory. A true "Inverted Pyramid" would allow Employees to evaluate their coworkers as well as Management team! This would give Managers an idea of what happens on the sales floor and, more importantly, gives the Store Manager an in-depth look on how his Managers are doing from those that work with them closest! A company that can implement this will truly become a powerful retail force!!!

Advice to Management

Constantly seek AND LISTEN to the advice of those who make your business happen (Top Sellers). They are the ones that understand the clientele and can make your business triple!!! Then, BE THERE in person to support them all the way... even if it means grabbing more register tape!

2. "Great company on paper, but too much politics."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fashion forward, customer service driven, goal oriented.

Cons

too much politics. Managers always play favoritism and employees are too gossipy. Managers usually share peoples personal information.

Advice to Management

Focus on the real talent versus the people that have worked for company for a life-time and are real manipulators of the system. Look out for the designer department.