Nordstrom - A perfect introduction to sales | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"A perfect introduction to sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned the in's and out's of selling and the key values of customer service. Using these tools, which are necessary in sales, I was able to grow from a "newbie" into a sales veteran.

Cons

It takes a long time to move up in management and some managers and assistant managers styles of motivation can actually demotivate their sales team.

Advice to Management

Try to have more classes about the products for the new sales associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"Not bad for retail"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun environment, most salespeople I worked with were young.
    - Competitive, but supportive. Everyone I worked with was pretty passive aggressive, but those who were confident in their sales abilities were helpful when I had questions.

Cons

- People bond by talking about how much they hate their jobs. I took it all with a grain of salt because I think a lot of people actually enjoyed working their but would engage in complaining as a social activity.

"Don't practice what they preach"

Current Employee - Various
    Current Employee - Various

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a manager, you can make decent money based on salary. As a salesperson, you need to be at a larger and busy store to make decent commission wages. Benefits are decent, industry standard. Paid time off can accumulate quickly as you grow with the company. Opportunity for growth if you are mobile. If you can get along with people, you can get far in this company. Still a good company to work for, as you don't need any previous training or education and this could be a starting point.

Cons

This company cannot figure out what direction they want to move in. Trying to add more technology (iPods/iPads, getting rid of traditional registers) which break down constantly and internet downtime causes delays for customers. Cutting/combining support positions without clear direction on what the new roles are supposed to be. Regions are not in tune with each other. Standards are different from region to region. Support roles are becoming less and less important. Regional support managers are so overloaded, they have no clue what is going on at the store level. Regional sales managers are out of touch with smaller stores and only focus on "A level" high performing stores. The philosophy is great, but it really isn't followed any more, except that the customer will always get whatever they want. This is not the same great company it was 8-10 years ago.

Advice to Management

Support positions are overloaded. Stop combining management roles with departments that have completely different tasks. Stop trying to eliminate a Customer Service department and renaming something different every few months. You are confusing the customers. Store level employees should have input on manager/regional manager performance reviews.