Nordstrom - As my first job in sales, Nordstrom gave me the customer care skills I needed to succeed in a more professional setting. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"As my first job in sales, Nordstrom gave me the customer care skills I needed to succeed in a more professional setting."

Former Employee - Salesperson in Mission Viejo, CA
Former Employee - Salesperson in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nordstrom gives their salespeople cohesive training, with independence on the floor. Management gives guidance, but lets salespeople use their own methods to create meaningful relationships with customers. Good opportunities to make high commission.

Cons

Depending on how strong your department team is, other salespeople can act like sharks. If your customers return anything, it comes out of your paycheck. Hours/schedules vary -- you might have to work very late.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"A perfect introduction to sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned the in's and out's of selling and the key values of customer service. Using these tools, which are necessary in sales, I was able to grow from a "newbie" into a sales veteran.

Cons

It takes a long time to move up in management and some managers and assistant managers styles of motivation can actually demotivate their sales team.

Advice to Management

Try to have more classes about the products for the new sales associates.

"Not bad for retail"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun environment, most salespeople I worked with were young.
    - Competitive, but supportive. Everyone I worked with was pretty passive aggressive, but those who were confident in their sales abilities were helpful when I had questions.

Cons

- People bond by talking about how much they hate their jobs. I took it all with a grain of salt because I think a lot of people actually enjoyed working their but would engage in complaining as a social activity.