Nordstrom - It was a great learning experience despite the horrible leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"It was a great learning experience despite the horrible leadership"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great reolaction packages, opprotunity to grow, commision sales

Cons

Managment does not listen to the people they directly manage all levels, people are often promoted based off who they know not off merit, company has an overall "mean girls" vibe with eveyone looking to get ahead by making others look bad. Pay is not comperable to others for the work load.

Advice to Management

Listen, Listen, Listen... I would also reinterview eveyperson who has ever worked with Pari Sanayei who is still supported as a leader, despite her poor leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"Shocked that Nordstrom is included in Fortune’s Best 100 Companies to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Nordstrom has joined the Human Rights Campaign
    -Bistro is great

Cons

-I found the job culture to be deeply uninspiring and in fact intensely wearing. There was no sense of awareness of anything happening in the company at large among the general employees.
    -I have never felt so needlessly and ceaselessly watched. That being said, management was deeply uninvolved on a manager to sales person level; not only as far as personal training and development but also as far as helping to reach goals-career and salary wise. Management not only seemed unconcerned by this but were often very nonchalant about dishonesty on the sales floor or inability to reach person salary goals due to slow traffic.
    -Not only have I never been clear on exactly how the hourly rate worked, but when inquiries were made it was very clear that there were not many of my peers who did either. Throughout the hiring process as well as the training process it was extremely misleading as to how pay would be awarded and this only seemed to get murkier over time. During lulls, the overstaffing on the sales floor made it impossible for personal commission goals to be met and the length of shifts combined with lack of traffic made metrics so low that there was no hope for a sufficient paycheck.
    -I found that not only were my peers verbally unpolished and often not put together aesthetically, but that they were dishonest about business practices on the sales floor and often unconcerned with following daily procedures. I consistently found it hard to believe that anyone would spend money with or take fashion advice from people whose visual representation of themselves was so sloppy. For a company that prides itself on its knowledge of fashion and trends, most of my peers had no working knowledge of either. Anything more abstract than your basic DVF and sales associates and even management were at a loss. Personal aesthetics aside, there should be at least a working knowledge of trends, blogs, and general knowledge outside the ones found in your own personal wheelhouse.
    -Visual displays and visual merchandising were consistently uninspiring and in fact nonsensical.

Advice to Management

-Provide and enforce better more engaging training practices.

2. "Sales Handbag"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my co-workers
    20 % discount
    the hours

Cons

RETURNS! Especially in handbags. My manager told me that the returns are always high in their department. Some days I am working to be positive. I would get 3,000 in returns in one day and have to make it up. People return purses that are used and smell like cigarettes. We will take it back no matter what

Advice to Management

Have your return policy affect our conmission for only a couple months not a year. People will return their used purse after 11 months and 28 days and it affects our commission.