Nordstrom - A great place to start a sales career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"A great place to start a sales career"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Other companies really look positively on Nordstrom and the standards they have in place for there employees.
- Have a great amount of respect for employees and giving them the tools to make good money
-In the right department you can make very good money (50-80k) ie. salon shoes, women shoes, men's sportswear.
- I had an amazing department manager

Cons

-some negative employees can really harm the work environment
-its retail so the hours are not the best, but deal with it.
-very competitive atmosphere which results in some shady sales people

Advice to Management

I would really try and find people that are positive. In my experience there was always someone talking negative about customers, managers, the job in general.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Amazing"

Former Intern - Mens Sportswear Summer
    Former Intern - Mens Sportswear Summer

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and environment
    Competitive pay
    Place an emphasis on great customer service

Cons

Commission based
    Sales people can be competitive

2. "Nordstrom abuses employees"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment very friendly and welcoming. The people (both employees and customers are great) Great products. I like that Nordstrom offers full health benefits and 401k.. its just expensive.

Cons

Commission sales. Because of the open return policy employees are constantly being hit with returns which makes it nearly impossible to get commission. The hourly rate $9/hr is disappointing and cruel. The store closes at 9:30 but employees may not leave until 10:30-11pm (Nevermind the fact that the mall closes at 9pm) Scheduling is a disaster. The shifts aren't the greatest. (i.e. opening 8-5 or 9-6 midshifts 10-7 or 11-8 closing 12-Close or 1-close) I was told that I would have weekend flexibility in my schedule and I don't. I have worked every weekend since I was hired and I was fired because I needed to stay home with my young kids a few weekends out of the month. None of the managers want to offer days off when you NEED it.

Advice to Management

Don't work the employees to death. Commission sales is challenging and everyone isn't born a sales person. Commission breeds tension and an unhealthy culture of competition between salespeople. There should be an easier way to advance in the company for those who have no interest in selling. FNL should be open to everyone. I dont agree with the open return policy because it hurts employees and after working 9-10hrs everyday it would be nice to go home in the daylight hours and spend time with family and friends or get some errands accomplished. Department managers need professional development days because they are unprofessional and only concerned about themselves. The assistant managers aren't much better either.