Nordstrom - Best company ( in retail ) to grow with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Best company ( in retail ) to grow with"

Former Employee - Support Manager in Paramus, NJ
Former Employee - Support Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started working here as a salesperson was quickly promoted to asst. manager tehn manager.
Promote from within philosophy.
Salary is tough when in commissioned sales, not bad as you move up the ladder.

Cons

Must be mobile.
Always looking to promote, but you must be willing to re locate.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule(if your not a manager), easy to get promoted, easy to transfer to diff. stores or regions, HR, Management, Buyers and Regional Managers are easily accessible. Can make good money if you know how to sell.

Cons

The return policy, the discount is a joke, If you become a manager you have to sell yourself to the company…goodbye holidays and weekends. Management base pay is next to nothing b/c you are a “selling manager” but they have you doing so much busy work (reports, recaps, reviews, schedules) you have very little selling time. The return policy allows people to abuse the system and dealing with these customers can be frustrating. Rack stores and .com are where they are focusing all their time and money. If I had to do it all over again I would just work at the rack. A lot less is asked of Rack managers.

Advice to Management

1) Change the return policy (I know this will never happen but it’s worth mentioning). You can change the policy without compromising customer service. Returning funds back to the original form of payment will detour a lot of people from abusing the system
    2) Increase bass pay for managers…they don’t get the selling time they did in years past.
    3) Increase the discount. How do you expect us to be “fashion role models” when we can afford to buy the clothes. Maybe 40% off NPG year round would be nice.

2. "Great company, bad pay"

Pros

I used to love working for Nordstrom, and some stores are really amazing. Your experience is very dependent on the management of each particular store.

Cons

Inexperienced managent and cocky young assistant managers who have not been properly trained.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing your employees, if you do there won't be such high turn over