Nordstrom - retail sales | Glassdoor

"retail sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Providence, RI
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at Nordstrom (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, 20% discount, nice clothing, flexible schedule (sometimes)

Cons

commission can be highly competitive and stressful.

Advice to Management

please do not schedule too many sales associate on the floor during slow sale seasons.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Shark Tank"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get alot of hours and can earn a high four figure salary working here because of the commission scale. Great co-workers but you must be able to handle a high paced commission sales environment.

Cons

It is commission and there is alot of pressure to make your goals. I saw many people from other departments fired within a few months of working because they could not make goals EVEN when the problem was the store had lower sales and less customers overall. Management seems to expect employees to make goals even when sales are down overall. The particular store I worked for had a horrible store manager, she was absent, negative, and gave really bad vibes which was easy for employees to feel.

You constantly have to watch your back to make sure people arent taking your sales or being shady when you have a return under your employee number. It can be extremely stressful.

Its also very numbers driven and there are alot of politics to the employee recognition programs.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you chose to promote to management. High sales does not automatically make someone management material when they are incapable of getting along with others on the sales floor.

"Potential Interns: Steer Clear"

Former Intern - Sales and Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Sales and Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-The only positive experience that came from my internship at Nordstrom was how NOT to treat employees and how NOT to run a department.
    -The pay can be good during busy times but it can also be bad during slow times, and with more and more people shopping online, slow times were plentiful
    -If you're an intern here, expect to learn everything from your fellow salespeople. The managment team is not helpful at all. I met some amazing salespeople.

Cons

-Inexperienced DMs & ADMs
    -Just because someone sells A LOT doesn't necessarily mean he/she can manage an entire floor of salespeople. This "Nordstrom logic" can be seen throughout the entire company
    -I didn't feel welcomed at all by my management team
    -Overall it could have been worse, but it should have been far better

Advice to Management

Not everyone learns the same. Some people are visual learners, some people are not. Be humble and help "the little guy." Arrogance helps no one.