Nordstrom - Great Experience | Glassdoor

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had a great experience as a Department Manager at Nordstrom. I appreciate the promote-from-within strategy of the company. It is a fun and rewarding environment. I would recommend.

Cons

Retail schedule, but the company allows for a work/life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Biased"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Nordstrom (Less than a year)

Pros

I really can't think of any..except for everything with pay, time off, W-2's ect.. are done on line.. customers have the upper hand

Cons

You don't get paid anything their commission structure sucks, only the supervisor's get paid or if you work in children's or shoes..in order to go up the ladder you must be in the in circle meaning really go friends with the supervisor or manager,,,t

Advice to Management

You should really look at the culture of a lot of your stores especially in S Florida where if you aren't Hispanic good luck, also there should be different qualifiers for advancement other than directly by supervisors..I understand your promote form with in but it's tainted...

2. "Learned great skills on how to make coffee at the ebar!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Nordies is the cultural environment and the exposure to high fashion and retail. Everyone at Nordies is very fashionable and stylish. Its a cool place to work if you need a side job and if you need sales experience it helps too.

Cons

The pay could be better. I know the top executives of Nordstrom are making big money but the low end baristas are making only a little bit above minimum wage. nordies could offer better wages and salaries and benefits.

Advice to Management

Upper management should think about raising the wages for baristas and everyone else that works hard in inventory, stock, and maintenance. We work the hardest. Viva la raza~!