Nordstrom - Nordstrom - The Best Option For Working in Retail | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Nordstrom - The Best Option For Working in Retail"

Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA
Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA

Pros

Nordstrom is a company that feels like a family away from home. While working in the Communications department I was able to become close friends with coworkers and even my manager. Now, after not working there for over a year, I still keep in touch with them and it's not "weird". Although it was a very professional environment, I was allowed to balance personal life with the workplace - during any down time I was allowed and even encouraged to do school work since I was a student at the time. I was also able to take time off work at the drop of a hat if my personal life called for it. Of course, I was expected to return the favor if it was called for in the future (kind of a "I'll scratch your back today, you scratch mine when I need it too" mentality). I was always recognized and praised for a job well done - on a daily basis. Overall it was a wonderful place to work!

Cons

My biggest issue with Nordstrom was the fact that it's retail. With retail comes a retail schedule, so I hated having to work the evening shift (1:30-9:30PM). It was switched up for variety, but sometimes that would mean that I would work the evening shift and then have to be back the very next morning at 7:30AM for the morning shift. That could get tiring. It was also a little difficult to be relieved for regular breaks. The person working the AM shift would have to wait for the PM shift to arrive before taking a lunch break - and sometimes even a restroom break. Since the phones HAD to be manned at all times, it was difficult to find someone to watch them even long enough to run to the restroom - the phone system was much more advanced than a regular phone, so the average employee on the floor was "afraid" to take over the phones even for a short period of time. When working the PM shift, I had to take a lunch break 2 hours after arriving or else I wouldn't get one. Taking a break that early made me very tired later in the evening when I actually NEEDED a break. Since I do still stay in touch with old coworkers who are still working there, I've heard that this issue has been addressed and improved since I left.

Advice to Management

I loved working here but I would have loved the opportunity to grow more. I felt like I was never given the chance to show the extent of my abilities. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade the experiences I gained for anything.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"Retail Details"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people are a major part of why I chose to work for Nordstrom. I always loved shopping there, mainly because of the excellent customer service I always received at each Nordstrom store. There are many opportunities to grow within the company; the Nordstrom brothers believe strongly in promoting from within, meaning that, whenever possible, they will promote their own people before bringing in an outside candidate for a job. Senior management, no matter how high up they are within the company, treats all employees with respect and courtesy, no matter how new they are to the company. I feel like this is incredibly important; this doesn't happen within many companies. I especially appreciate that the Nordstrom brothers make a point to visit the stores on a frequent basis and talk with the salespeople to find out how things are going in the departments.

Cons

While the health insurance is relatively inexpensive, the copays are obscene, both for prescriptions and office visits. When one is in management, one doesn't get paid very well for the amount of work one does. I work 10-12 hours a day, and I don't get paid nearly enough to compensate for all of the work that I do. Also, Nordstrom believes fully in hiring people who haven't had any education, and while that can be good, it's also very frustrating, because I work with some pretty idiotic people and I know that I could do their jobs about eight million times better than they do.

Advice to Management

Train your people better. Make sure that they can give constructive feedback. Teach them that the people on the sales floor know what they're doing; they're out on the sales floor every day, and they have been out on the sales floor every day for a long time, some for years. You haven't been out on the sales floor for a long time, many of you for over a decade. Give your sales management teams credit for what their sales teams are doing. They're paying your salaries.

2. "It does not pay enough to make a real living"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Only promotes from within benefits, if you love to shop then its good because you get a discount.. It can be a fun enviroment from time to time. if your young and don't know what your doing with yourself then you can come here.

Cons

to many hours, there is no had book on how to be a good manager. when you seek out help they make you feel incompetent. There is unfairness on the expectations from the managers. Store managers make some decisions based on whether they like you or dislike you. They promote anyone who they think is good based on personality not performance

Advice to Management

If you pay someone a salary it should be realistic with the amount of hours you expect from them