Nordstrom - Good Company with a High School Environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Good Company with a High School Environment"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Burlington, MA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Nordstrom for almost three years, and overall it was a great experience. I was lucky to have great managers, who were willing to work with my schedule (I was a college student) and give me the perfect schedule that worked for me.

Company has decent benefits, including medical, dental, 401K etc; however not the best options available. Schedules vary depending on your position, and usually includes weekends, extended hours for holidays, and any type of store meetings. Store Manager will hype you up every morning, and sets a positive attitude for the day. Fun events are planned throughout the year for not only customers, but for associates as well (BBQs, holiday events).

The discount is okay, 20% for regular associates, 33% for managers. There are several times throughout the year where those rates are increased, and the discounts range between 30-40% (especially before Christmas).

Good opportunity for advancement, but department managers are usually always overworked and overstressed. May take quite a few years to move up into a "higher" manager position (i.e. Store Manager, HR manger, Regional Manager), however you reap the benefits you sow. If you don't like the store you work at, there are plenty other Nordstrom stores you can transfer to, whether in or out of state.

Cons

Depends what level of the company you work for, but if you work in the retail aspect (sales associate etc), expect it to be very much like a high school. People gossip like crazy, about anything and everything. It can get very annoying, especially if your former significant other works there as well. Also, other sales associate can become very sharky with sales, and some managers do nothing to improve the department environment.

Also, the pay structure is a bit shaky. Sales associates work strictly off of commission. They also get paid a hourly rate, but if their earned commission is higher, they will get that. For example, your commission rate is 10%, and you sold around $2000 in merchandise that week. You worked 25 hours, and the hourly rate is $10 (just an example). Your commission will come out to $200 dollars (pre tax), and your hourly pay would be $250. You would not get paid the commission of 200, rather you will get the hourly rate, since that is higher. This can be a problem later down the road, because your checks will be different every week, and returns will affect your pay as well. Some weeks are great, however, some weeks are a struggle, especially after the Christmas months. If you like getting the same check every week, this is definitely not the place for you.

PTO starts to accumulate after you have worked 1,000 hours, and adds up very slowly over a period of time. For a larger company, I thought maybe you would be granted vacation time right away, to take whenever you need, but not the case. Especially if you have to take sick days etc., and you don't have PTO, you do not get paid for those days off. Hard to schedule vacations, since you have to get approval prior to going. Sick days are frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Change your pay structure, and actually hire managers with a degree in Management or the like.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"They suck you in to their "great customer service" lie"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have Leave earlys during certain parts of the year so you can not get an attendance point.

Cons

The pay sucks. Just because you are not "commissioned" you get NOTHING for selling things. You sold $2,000 in one sale? sucks to be you cause your still only getting $12.65 an hour. They try to sell you on this pitch of "We don't pay you to sell stuff because we don't REQUIRE you to sell stuff" wow...that's a load. Also I should have listened to people when they told me Nordstrom has gone down hill with employees. The benefits have gone way up, they say they won't require overtime then the same week they say "Add a shift or we will do it for you, and if you don't you will get an attendance point". The Managers at this places are about as smart as a coconut.... seriously almost none of them have proper education. And watch out for that at home program, they hire from outside the company now so make sure your prepared to feel like the little people the Nordstrom brothers love to step on.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like they matter! Oh and bring a manufacturing company to the US stop using overseas to make the "Nordstrom" brand

2. "Good money, questionable management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you have the potential to have a great paycheck, great people work there, good benefits if you choose to take part in them.

Cons

over-scheduling in some departments leads to low numbers and lower potential to do well when the amount of customers coming through are low, inexperienced, young managers in certain departments make scheduling frustrating and hinders the potential for their associates to do well