Nordstrom - No opinion had by employee | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"No opinion had by employee"

Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No opinion had by employee

Cons

Good environment and management in direct division

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "Have learned a lot, but feel our store needs a boost"

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cosmetics pays well (hourly + commission)
    Earn paid time off after you've worked 1000+ hours
    Paid holidays if you've worked 1000+ hours
    20% discount for regular employees, 33% discount for management and employees who have earned special titles
    Paid maternity leave for 6 weeks
    Optional 2 weeks bonding time post-birth, non-paid
    Insurance offered through Aetna
    401K offered
    Paid $5 every time you open a Nordstrom Rewards card, $2 every time you attempt to open, but customer is ineligible

Cons

Hours change per week based on business "because it's retail"
    Blackout (no use of PTO) during June, July, early August, November, & December
    Must be mobile (able to move from state to state) to advance into management
    Expected to have open availability year-round
    Online business has recently been largely promoted, causing fewer customers to visit store
    Glitches in new clienteling system that make it hard to track and maintain contact with customers
    Expected to open 5 Nordstrom Rewards cards per month, possible writte up if you don't
    Expected to capture emails for e-receipt
    Hard to take vacations in Cosmetics because there are events every month and you are expected to be present the weeks prior to promote
    Cosmetics department expected to do a large amount of sales through phone calls.
    Smaller stores like ours have a new department manager and/or assistant manager every 8-12 months; the change in management causes change in procedures, which exhaust salespeople.

Advice to Management

The general atmosphere at my store has been dismal lately. There have been 6 firings in cosmetics in the last 3 months, primarily cited for productivity issues. Customer base seems to be shifting to online purchasing, which means less for us to work with on the floor (initiating sales, adding-on to sales, building clientele list, etc…) We are harassed constantly about opening Nordstrom Rewards and received a "friendly" letter two months ago from the store manager if we hadn't opened any that month detailing how she expects us to open our 5/month from there on out. Also get perpetually pestered about our percentage of transactions with e-reciepts.

2. "One of the best options for working in retail due to commission based earnings"

Pros

Commission allows for higher earnings, company reputation, employee discount applies to all sale and Nordstrom Rack items

Cons

Can be competitive, long hours standing, customers have high demands