Nordstrom - Best of the best! | Glassdoor

"Best of the best!"

Current Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
Current Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture: the people are incredible and make it fun to go to work every day!
The endless opportunities: Nordstrom wants their employees to work hard and go far in the company, which is why so many employees have had more than 20 years with the business.

Cons

Its retail so you will be spending a lot of time working! However, it is all worth it because your hard work does get noticed and if you are good at what you do, you can do great things for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"For all the positive hype, every day get's a little more disappointing"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Portland, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Discount.
    -...
    -I have to enter five words? I can't think of any other pro.
    -I have some really great co-workers, and some less great ones. Like any other workplace.

Cons

-Every perk you have ever heard about this company is actually a let-down.

-Discount? Well it is a pro, to an extent. 20%. When you have customers come in and spend $2,000 on clothes you feel a little pressure to try an look equally as put-together. Try doing that on basically minimum wage and part-time hours. Yeah... Most of my co-workers are in debt.

-Health benefits? Nope! Unless you meet the minimum hour requirements. Most employees do not.
         -BTW the requirement isn't even full time. It is, to average 129 hours every month over a 6 month period, which was recently changed from a 3 month period to be more attainable to the employee.
         -129/4 is 32.25 hours a week. Again, most employees do not qualify.

-Commission? Nope! I have made just over 12 dollars an hour over a two week period, once. But that was a freak accident. I have been with the company now for a year...

-Holiday Pay? Based on hours worked and average commission... Don't get your hopes up too high.

-PTO? Don't plan on accruing any until you have reached 1 year of service. Then the clock will start. At zero.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because the rest of the world seems to have the wool pulled over quite well by you. You are making money and that's all that counts, right? Meanwhile, your employees live below poverty but don't qualify for gov't assistance and you get $400,000 bonuses. Great job.

2. "Current Strategy Doesn't Match Long-standing Reputation"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive competitive environment
    Wonderful talented co-workers

Cons

The company has been making a lot of changes that don't align with the sentiments it prides itself on.

Advice to Management

Great sellers aren't necessarily good managers. More manager training, as it seems a trend across the company that management doesn't know how to motivate positively.