Nordstrom - Be prepared to work long hours and not get paid a lot to start | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Be prepared to work long hours and not get paid a lot to start"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The potential to excel and be promoted in the company is a positive aspect...there is Room to grow. Helps you develop new client relationships.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working here were the commission part of wages...(it can be a blessing and also can be a curse...ESPECIALLY if you can't exceed the regular hourly rate each 2 week pay period). The hours are too much for a mother .

Advice to Management

Overall the management here was good...but more incentives to employees would improve company morale I think.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

"Commission Counts"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You set your own paycheck, and usually if it isn't busy you get to leave early.

Cons

If it's not busy you don't make any money. Customers can be difficult, no base pay, 2 accounts per month have to be opened. No return policy (and yes returns come out of your commission).

"Great at first, but soon starts to suck your soul out"

Former Employee - Saleperson in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Saleperson in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social atmosphere (vs. a cubicle setting), discount on wide range of items, opportunity for good pay. Great customer service training.
    Benefits weren't great, but decent. I am pleased that I was able to start my 401k here.

Cons

The social atmosphere isn't always pleasant. Unfortunately, retail tends to be a magnet for catty and shallow people. Discount also encourages employee overspending, especially during their employee shop days. Always under pressure to buy products for 'promotion' and to keep up with short-lived trends. Constant pressure to sell more and more, and the company's return policy has trained customers to abuse it, which can kill your paycheck. Building a steady and reliable customer base (consistent high-spenders who don't abuse the system) takes years. Long hours on feet (8-12 hrs) which actually flattened my feet during my time there, even with Superfeet (1 yr). I was mainly considered full-time, but they are quick to cut your healthcare the second you drop below the hours, which I did from time to time for school. During sales, it is not uncommon for some employees to be scheduled for 10 day work benders. High employee turnover for both salespeople and managers.

Advice to Management

When looking to fill positions for managers, look towards mature and objective adults, and not young, moody, 20- somethings ambitiously looking to climb the corporate ladder. (This was seen a lot at the Seattle Flagship location.)