Nordstrom - Decent but can do better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

"Decent but can do better"

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture in office is overall positive; good work/life balance. Benefits standard for large company. People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture.

Cons

Benefits and salary are below the competition they're trying to compete with locally (not retail). Unclear advancement paths and an unevenly skilled workforce.

Advice to Management

Support your doers. empower them to make decisions and not do everything by consensus. Fight for better benefits, salary and be forward thinking in how teams should manage their business/projects. Be less hierarchical.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. "One of My Best Jobs!"

Current Employee - Makeup Artist/Beauty Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist/Beauty Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

I was new to Indy so I met most of my friends there. Very laid back, great company spirit. Some people think they harass you about sales goals... well, I ddnt get harassed but its a SALES job, so guess what? yup... you have to sell. Breaks and lunches were pretty much up to you when you wanted to go. Lots of opportunities within the company.There is a coffee breakfast once a month with the manager that everyone can attend so that your ideas are heard and you can stay in the loop. Lots to learn.

Cons

returns. People shop. People return. Thats about it. If your sales goal is $1000 that day, and some did a return earlier that was yours and it was for $300, it doesnt technically come out of your check, but you have to now sell $300 to be a square one.... then another $1000 to make goal. Being a Tier 1 means being below your goal for the pay period. If you are a 1 for 3 pay periods in a row..... you could loose your job. And pay day is the 4TH and the 19th of every month. That took some getting used to.

Advice to Management

All people who are management dont make good management. You have to respect that everyone is an adult and if they make mistakes, you still talk to them as adults and not ever as a child. Always stay supportive, and respect your team.

2. "Excellent !"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working here was extremely fun, and exciting !

Cons

if you are not into selling and up selling, this job may not be for you