Norfolk Iron & Metal - Long hours but good pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Iron & Metal

"Long hours but good pay"

Former Employee - Driver in Durant, IA
Former Employee - Driver in Durant, IA

Pros

Good pay, if willing to work 60-70 hrs/ 5 day week, and kept busy

Cons

All about the money. Sometimes feel like they work harder to fire people than keep them

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Iron & Metal

""Peasant" takes on new meaning under this feudal reign."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Pros

My company has some pretty good medical/dental benefits and also has an Aflac program. Employees are offered opportunities to participate in a flex plan, and a steeply discounted YMCA membership. Many of the folks here have been around for years - even decades for some. Many of the employees are very dedicated to their jobs, however, I think this is owed more to the woeful job market in Norfolk, NE than to great leadership or good pay. The company is growing with its most recent new branch in Durant, IA operating as of spring 2008. The company has also recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and remains a family owned company in its third generation. It's a good feeling to be a part of a historically significant company in the area. My supervisor does a great job of encouraging me and giving me feedback on my work, however, I'm not sure if this is the same for other departments.

Cons

I don't think there are many companies in which politics is not a large part of survival for many employees, however, at NIM politics runs down even into entry level relationships. Paranoia plays a large part in keeping employees complacent in my department, and, I'm sure, in many others. In fact, if I was planning on staying with the company I would not be writing this review, because I feel like they will find a way to narrow down who wrote this post. Most people think twice about what they say and who they say it to if they say anything at all.

As for my pay? It sucks! Granted - I'm pretty low level, but when I look up my job and experience on web sites and find that I'm paid in the lowest 10th percentile for my field, it's extremely disheartening. As I said in my Pros for working at NIM, I get a lot of feedback on my job performance. My supervisor is quick to give thoughtful praise, and all my reviews remark on my excellent output, however, my pay does not match the reviews I am given.

Promotions and hirings are very much a subjective matter. Who you know, what you say, and how you are associated is huge. Someone with experience and demonstrated leadership in the company will be passed over for a job if the hiring committee has personal issues with you, if you question management's decisions, or if they don't want to go through the work of finding a replacement for you.

I would not be with this company if better opportunities existed in this very, very rural community.

Advice to Management

With the quick growth the company is experiencing, it is more important than ever to keep employees informed of events and changes. For example, many didn't know about the newly announced expansion until it was announced publicly to vendors, and even after that I know one branch only found out by word of mouth.

One of the biggest challenges for this family-style company is trust between employee and employer. Everyone is very distrustful of their coworkers, and the branches are very guarded when it comes to relations with corporate headquarters. Paranoia and fear run deep.

I know many folks would also agree (behind closed doors, of course) with one employee who cynically remarked to me that the expansions are coming out of the employees' pockets. Many of us feel torn between our great performance reviews and the disappointment of paystubs that don't reflect the reviews. Our pay should reflect how much the company values our reliability and good work. - not how much the company can get away with.

2. "Internal Auditing"

Former Employee - Administrative in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative in Greeley, CO

I worked at Norfolk Iron & Metal (More than a year)

Pros

Great HR, Warehouse management, and GM at Greeley location, they take care of their employees!

Cons

Home office in Nebraska could use a lot of work: communication, support, and training. What you tend to hear is, "that's not my job".

Advice to Management

Continue to give support and training to new employees and create more opportunities for growth.