Norfolk Southern - Bad Quality OF Life | Glassdoor

"Bad Quality OF Life"

Current Employee - Trainmaster in South Bend, IN
Current Employee - Trainmaster in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*On the management side they have wonderful medical benefits and great salary for those starting out.
*Great retirement, if you can make it that far!!

Cons

* You work for the railroad and they are a 24hr operations.

* The pay verses the hours does not work out well. Instead of dollars per hour it turns out to be pennies per hour

*There are no sick days, no personal days, no set schedule in terminal's or line of road, no personal life allowed.

*You are at their beck and call. 24hrs a day, it doesn't matter if you are at a ball game with your son or recital with your daughter your butt is theirs and you better not have your phone turned off.

*If you are married stay away from this company because their is good possibility you want be married in a few short years.

*If you are prior Military they take you for granted and use and abuse you because they think you will adapt to their unbalanced way of life and culture. I'm sorry but the military was more balanced in their way of life and culture than Norfolk Southern. The military took more time to care about the well being of you andvyour family.

* The military supported your time with family, Norfolk Southern seems to see your family as a hindrance to their operations.

Advice to Management

Norfolk Southern is trying to change their way of life and it is appreciated because their needs to be major reform in the way of life. However, your reform isn't happen fast enough. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family as many have done in the past to make a buck. I'll go work at McDonald's making minimum wage if it means being able to spend more time with my family and not answering a phone at all hours of the night. If i could give one piece of advice to the upper level management I would have to say..."focus on your front line supervisors (B3-B4) make their lives better!

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

"Great opportunity to earn a fair wage for your time and work."

Current Employee - Condcutor in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Condcutor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is great you get paid for the amount of time and work you put into the job. Coworkers were diverse most were hard working. Most new managers were fair and honest.

Cons

Management style could be changed to a coaching environment. Management used carrot and stick approach with far more sticks than carrots. Older managers were not about positive change.

Advice to Management

Embrace new technologies. Quit fighting against the unions and attempt to create employee incentives.

""Long hours coupled with watchdog management""

Current Employee - Conductor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, nice benefits, awesome retirement.

Cons

Staying in hotels all the time, mangement hiding in the woods, railroad only cares about it salary employess.