Norfolk Southern - Co Op Operations research intern for graduate student | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

"Co Op Operations research intern for graduate student"

Current Intern - Operation Research Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Current Intern - Operation Research Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

quick response for the on line application

Cons

complicated interview process, need to be on line, fly from MD to GA even I have classes at night

Advice to Management

please reduce the type of the interview into practical skills such as programming and the IQ test but not the GRE verbal test, it gave a little bit unfair to international applicants if they do not know the meaning of the words.

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

"Non family friendly completely money focused"

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health Insurance was good for the first few years when we had no co pay, then we started paying 300+ a month for it. Descent pay check ,

Cons

Worked on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all weekends and holiday's, with no extra pay for working holiday. No time at all for family, they called you back to work after 10 hours rest, and you spent from 36 to 40 hours gone at a time. 120+ days a year in a hotel room. No where near enough pay for every thing you sacrifice. They always find a way to beat you out of your bonus's and you never got a pat on the back for working your hind end off. Always hiding in the bushes trying to catch you breaking a rule. Management at the local level was terrible. Twelve years of this and I called it quits!

Advice to Management

Give a fellow a Pat on the back once in a while, all we ever get is the negative. The only time you see a Supervisor was to tell you how you needed to do more and do better. Hire people in management that have a clue, the college grads you hire right out of college know nothing about the railroad, and they are suppose to be able to help you and 99% of the time I had forgotten more than they even knew about railroading!!

"I enjoy working for Norfolk Southern."

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

The work is not very hard and the pay is good.

Cons

The different shifts and odd hours worked.