Norfolk Southern - This Place Sucks!!!! | Glassdoor

"This Place Sucks!!!!"

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Good place to start a Railroad Career. I learned alot about the railroad which helped me advance to a better paying job. I miss alot of my coworkers there.

Cons

But, It's a terrible place to spend a 30+ year. They hide in the weeds and watch you work and are ready to crucify and fire you for the pettiest of rule violations. I miss some of the people I work with but I DO NOT miss the company, the way they treat their employees and how management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that they're employees are more than just a number. They need to realize that we are actual people working there.

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

1. "Good job with full benifts"

Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Pay is very competivtive, no degree is nessasary, and many employees are union.

Cons

All transportation jobs are on shiftwork. I think the company can be way better managed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; most have the experience and expertise to accoplish NS goals.

"Proud place to work,"

Former Employee - Chief Dispatcher in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Chief Dispatcher in Greenville, TX

Pros

Very strong company financially. Consistently challenging from day to day. The senior management is the best business minds in the country as far as running a railroad.

Cons

Railroad operations run 24/7/365 and need employees to do it. Most operational jobs with NS are nontraditional hours so any prospective employee should be aware of this.

Advice to Management

Since the non-management positions are union, the one of the most difficult position is a junior manager. You will be the work horse, but suck it up. If you perform, you won't be in that position long.