Norfolk Southern - Banal Place Of Employment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

"Banal Place Of Employment"

Former Employee - PC LAN Technician in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - PC LAN Technician in Norfolk, VA

Pros

The benefits were great and far more than comparable positions in industry. Also, compensation was very comfortable. Very structured format and work was cut out for you.

Cons

The workplace environment was very banal and did not support open feedback and communication. Hierarchical structure of the positions made it a very intimidating environment.

Advice to Management

Upper management should allow feedback from employees. Also, work environment is unnecessarily strict as far as dress code and appearance.

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

"This Place Sucks!!!!"

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Good place to start a Railroad Career. I learned alot about the railroad which helped me advance to a better paying job. I miss alot of my coworkers there.

Cons

But, It's a terrible place to spend a 30+ year. They hide in the weeds and watch you work and are ready to crucify and fire you for the pettiest of rule violations. I miss some of the people I work with but I DO NOT miss the company, the way they treat their employees and how management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that they're employees are more than just a number. They need to realize that we are actual people working there.

2. "Good job with full benifts"

Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Pay is very competivtive, no degree is nessasary, and many employees are union.

Cons

All transportation jobs are on shiftwork. I think the company can be way better managed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; most have the experience and expertise to accoplish NS goals.