North Carolina State University - Amazing department | Glassdoor

"Amazing department"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Working with a team who value all types of diversity, not just race
- Feeling like you are actually making a difference in the lives of students/staff/faculty

Cons

- Salary and work life balance are low depending upon which office you work in, however administration is understanding of employee's needs and will work to find a compromise

Advice to Management

Pay equity across departments is needed

Other Employee Reviews for North Carolina State University

1. "A good place to be a civil servant"

Current Employee - Director of Educational Technology in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Educational Technology in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NC State has heart. We do great things for tomorrow's leaders, and we do them well. I'm lucky in that I started here young and have had ample growth opportunity. I'm not sure the situation is as good people who tend to job hop a lot.

Cons

Mostly compensation. When I started here, below average salaries were balanced by the academic environment, however, more and more this place becomes like a business, except for the salary part. I will say that if you manage to stick it out for the full 30, the retirement compensation is pretty darn decent.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reward quality people beyond raises (which the state system makes difficult). Titles, access to professional development, creating new positions with more responsibility are all great to recognize strong workers.

2. "Undergraduate Political Science Researcher/Intern"

Current Intern - Undergraduate Political Science Researcher/Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Developed data analysis, political science research and methodology skills. Critical thinking and analytical skills. The professor provided valuable feedback and improvements to the writings.

Cons

This was an unpaid position for credit hours only. The internship was a valuable experience but the College of Humanities and Social Sciences does not have adequate research grants to fund paid internship/research positions for most undergraduate students.