Northern Tool + Equipment - Avoid this IT Department if you are a Senior RPG Software Developer. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment

"Avoid this IT Department if you are a Senior RPG Software Developer."

Former Employee - Senior RPG Software Developer in Burnsville, MN
Former Employee - Senior RPG Software Developer in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you consider a paycheck a Pro...then this job is for you.

Cons

Managers are over payed OLD RPG Programmers. If they do not like you...they will walk you out the door. This is a Sink or Swim shop...so swim at your own risk. Absolutely NO communication between management and subordinates. I went to ask a programmer a question one day and found out that they had quit over a month ago...are you kidding me?

Advice to Management

Hire some REAL managers that have some people skills.

Other Employee Reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment

"Gained a lot of experience, but advancement was hard to come by."

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fairly flexible about work schedule, low pressure, good people, cool products, growing, family owned company

Cons

pay is on the low side, health benefits are pricey, vacation policy is extremely weak, they don't put much value on employee career development

"Great family friendly company who offers flexibility and work life balance."

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN

Pros

Family friendly company who offers a lot of flexibility and work life balance. Managers empower employees to do best work. Very fun work environment. Core values are: Know Your Customer, Provide Value, Act With Integrity, Empower the Individual, Be Entrepreneurial, Have Fun. The company definitely lives by these values. The Kotula family is amazing!

Cons

Smaller company (400 employees at corp HQ) so not a lot of options for moving up the corporate ladder quickly, however you definitely are able to grow in your positon and take on more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! One thing I have noticed is that I don't think all department heads live by the core values as much as others and certain areas might be a bit more rigid than others. I absolutely love my department, management team, etc. and hope that others have as great of a mangement team as my group.