Northern Trust - Great reputation, so-so pay with work life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

"Great reputation, so-so pay with work life balance"

Current Employee - Trust Advisor in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Trust Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is nice to work for a company with a great reputation. It can make obtaining new business easier. Most people don't work more than 45 hours per week, so there is work-life balance.

Cons

Raises for the common folk are small. The executives get nice raises. Limited career mobility. Lots of projects to handle while managing your clients. Middle management keeps expanding.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well in a record breaking year, don't blame the interest rate enviornment for low raises. SVPs and above should be more accountable for new business - they should be rainmakers.

Other Employee Reviews for Northern Trust

"Solid but not great place to begin a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since it's a big company there are lots of internal opportunities. Networking is great and encouraged; most people in higher positions are willing to speak with you. Great benefits and they treat employees very well.

Cons

Super conservative, all respects (thinking, investing and salaries). They rarely fire anyone, people stay in the same position for 20 years. Very low employee motivation. Raises and promotions can be very political.

Advice to Management

Make the better decisions quicker

"Not a challenging environment"

Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a LOT of flexibility. Great for family man/woman. Getting fired is near impossible.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Moving up within your department is difficult. They don't get rid of under performing employees. The "training" they offer is a waste of time. I couldn't believe I was paid to train for a month and when I was finally assigned to my team, I was told by everyone on the team to forget what I learned. Northern prides its self in being conservative, but I believe there is a difference between being conservative and being old fashioned. They need to get with the times. I'll finish by saying again that their pay is terrible which is why they can't retain any talent.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay incentives. You need to challenge employees more, they are craving it, and with it compensation in return. Ask yourself what kind of culture are you breeding? You pay below the industry standard, you let good talent leave, and don't set the bar very high for those that remain. Looking for a job can be daunting especially if you have a family, but quite the opposite when jobs find you. We live in a time where social media and the internet is making it easier for headhunters and recruiters to find talent within companies