Northrop Grumman - It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school." | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school.""

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well
-You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important.
-High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general.
-Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you.
-Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry.
-Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap.
-knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual."
-It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out.
-Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed.
-It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work.
-We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Advice to Management

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Insights to NGES"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Pride in the systems being designed and built. Tuition reimbursement policy. Opportunities to see systems in the field. Travel opportunities. Opportunities to work with other Northrop Grumman divisions and sites.

Cons

Stagnate environment. Limited career paths and opportunity for advancement. Outdated management philosophy. Management rewards years of service and long hours rather then performance and skills. Lip service given to work/life balance. A clear tier two provider with no real aim or pathway to grow the company. Travel policies lag similar defense contractors. Benefits lag other defense companies. Limited opportunities to excel technically or climb management ranks. Lack if transparency in hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Benchmark other industry players. To attract and retain the best and brightest you need to be at least competitive.

2. "Northrop Grumman IT: Good company, good benefits, good fun."

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The job is exciting, giving me on the job training as well professional training classes. My direct management will go out on a limb for me, asking that I just go out on a limb for them and our customers.

Cons

It's a big company, and easy to get lost in.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees that make you money directly than your share holders profits.