Northrop Grumman - Northrop has been a good company with solid benefits thus far I'm happy with them, just location sucks. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Northrop has been a good company with solid benefits thus far I'm happy with them, just location sucks."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Lexington Park, MD
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for the job that I do with growth opportunities. Management supports me very well even when it's much easier to jus tgo with the flow.

Cons

Long hours everyday including Saturday, which unless you have no life and just love to stay at work with no hope of ever getting a life well then you should be right at home!

Advice to Management

Chill.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"The work can be interesting, but sometimes policies or bureaucracy get in the way of things."

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northrop Grumman is a defense contractor. If you are on the right project, it's really easy to become a part of a project that really makes a difference to the people who defend our country.
    Northrop Grumman is not your standard mom and pop company - the company can really push into markets with their clout and get you into some really cool projects.
    Northrop Grumman has big name suppliers, which means when cool new gadgets come out, your project may be able to get a hold of them a little bit before everyone else.
    Executives at director level and above seem to be very sharp and good at their jobs, for the most part.
    If you can get approved for Extended Work Weeks, it is very easy to get paid well above your pay grade if you're willing to work a lot of extra hours.

Cons

Northrop Grumman is a defense contractor. This means that if the defense budget is cut, it likely also means that they'll need to cut back somewhere.
    Northrop Grumman, like many defense contractors, often needs to hold on to people with subject matter expertise, even if they are not on contract, so you may find your team "padded" with these individuals.
    Many managers don't believe in paying you for hours above and beyond your "full-time" status (referred to as Extended Work Week), but will imply that you should do it anyway. There are managers that will allow this kind of charging, though.
    Career paths are very murky - it's very unclear how to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

If I could share advice with upper management, it would be twofold:
    1. Don't be cheap and take more risks. If you want innovation, you have to try new things and be prepared to fail a lot before we get it right.
    2. If you want to engage your employees, you need to do four things. Give them projects that are improving someone's life - a soldier, a doctor, whoever. Give them projects that require meeting new people and actually leaving their cubicles - the "butts in seats" view of work doesn't cut it. Give them training that gives a clear view of how their work fits into the grand scheme of things - without context and clear goals, people won't feel any urgency or have a desire to be a team player. Offer more rewards for achievement - if people don't feel like they will ever recognized for their work, they won't try as hard when you need them the most.

2. "Kernel embedded Linux software file systems"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Rancho San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Rancho San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, goog pay, stable secure good people

Cons

Politicsc, documentation to many old people