Northrop Grumman - Great programs, good people, things are changing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Great programs, good people, things are changing."

Current Employee - Technical Writer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Technical Writer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

cutting edge technologies, interesting programs, super smart workers, dedicated people, diverse working group, old and wise ones to learn from, new and energetic college hires.

Cons

management structure is changing. ten years ago, this was a great place to work from the top down. they have since brought in new upper management, and things have gradually become more internally political. makes me NOT want to be a manager.

Advice to Management

The company is too top heavy. We have too many layers of management. And, constraints you're putting on your homeroom managers is making us lose our best people.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Screw UP and MOVE UP!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time; benefits, even if we keep paying more for them each year; end of year shutdown, the employees (non-management).

Cons

Too many layers of management, the majority of whom are unethical, unknowledgable, and unfair. Most get promoted into management because they are friends of another manager, and most failed at their jobs, hence the NGC motto of SCREW UP AND MOVE UP! Discrimination runs rampant . Raises and bonuses are abysmal, unless you are in management or favored by a manager. HR is only there to cover up management's many screw ups. The annual review process is a joke! Very little job satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Step down, we don't need layers on layers of managment. If NGC really wants to increase shareholder value - lose at least 2 layers of management - they are redundant. We have VP's and directors for everything, in addition to 3-4 layers of management. Instead of laying-off employees to increase profit, chop management in 1/2 and use their HUGE annual bonuses/salaries to increase profit. Also, contract out HR so they are not in management's back pocket...HR does not help the employees at all.

"If you're in, you're golden. If not.........."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company financially, good benefits

Cons

Lots of long term cowardly employees who will do anything to protect each other and railroad you out if you don't play their game. The company is too big to function with any common sense. Everything is done in the most ridiculous and counter-intuitive manner possible. People above you are not sharp, it's just that they have managed not to screw up in any meaningful way for several years.

Advice to Management

Be fair with people. don't value people who make you FEEL good over people who are actually good.