Northrop Grumman - It was a good learning experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"It was a good learning experience."

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer II in Silverdale, WA
Former Employee - Hardware Engineer II in Silverdale, WA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Shift work is not optional.

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Unbelievable."

Former Contractor - Sructures Mechanic in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Contractor - Sructures Mechanic in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were very friendly and helpful. Pay was decent. I liked the 4-10's schedule.

Cons

I happened to end up with probably the most unfriendly leadman I'd ever encountered in my entire contracting career. Every time I asked him a question, he was very irritated, and acted like I was asking too much. I guess it's wrong to expect leadership from a leader at NG. I'd ask him where a part was located and he would simply scowl at me and tell me to go look for it. Like I'm supposed to know. Another thing is that if this place really expects to improve it's productivity, the workers shouldn't have to engage in a multi building search for the parts called out on their parts list. They should be kitted like every other OEM does. After two weeks, they actually terminated me. The supervisor told me that my leadman told him that I "lacked initiative". LOL. Every time I finished a project and asked this lead man for another job, he would get irritated with me for making him get up from his desk. And I thought I showed him plenty of initiative when I cleaned off his work bench while he played solitare on his computer. And how I was fired was also over the top. Instead of the supervisor contacting me directly, he had my contracting house call me to tell me I was fired. There was no communication with me at all. No chance to tell my side of it whatsoever. I don't know. I've never been fired before in 28 years of contracting. Maybe that's how it's done.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to update the Huff station database to reflect what's actually in them, and make an effort to at least have the needed parts in the same building as the assembly being built. And it really would be nice if you gave your contractors a chance to redress a grievance other than the one way, good 'ol boy method. If you're a contractor reading this, I hope you end up with better supervision than I was unlucky enough to end up with. I'm sure they're out there, somewhere.

"Great for short term plan and fresh from College -- longevity is not rewarded!"

Former Employee - Buyer Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is really hard to find them...

Cons

It's obviously called WORK for a reason! Not that I mind hard work... I don't! I gave my 150-200% all the time! But it always seemed the more you did, the more they gave you... without any compensation or thanks in the process. Most of the employees are being stretched too far-- Ones with good work ethic are undermined and railroaded . Too many favorites... the rest will die trying. And nothing seems to change. Past 3-4 yrs of annual layoffs really undermine employee morale.. which is still at an All-time low!!

Advice to Management

Too much middle managment still... even with all the layoffs! Certain depts still maintain the Good 'ole Boy mentality! Take a good look at who really does the work.