Northrop Grumman - great learning experience for new grad | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

"great learning experience for new grad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of cool technology and got a lot of good hands on learning experience. Benefits were really great.

Cons

seems to have cycles of hiring and layoffs. Promotions and pay increase process seem to be heavily weighted on who you are friends with. I was told I had a great year but only so many people can be promoted so maybe next year...for a few years.

Advice to Management

reward and try to hold on to the good new hires

Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman

"Overall a good company"

Current Employee - Software Development Analyst I in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Software Development Analyst I in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers I have had are very flexible. They allow everyone in software development to work from home 2 days a week and don't mind you working from home if you or a close family member is sick. 6 weeks until I went on maternity leave, my boss called me and told me that he would allow me to work from home until I delivery my baby. I live an hour away from the facility so that was very nice of him.

My workload is as I choose it to be. I can take on as many projects as I have time for. There are also a lot of opportunities to gain lead experience or to move over to admin or database work. If you want to go back to school or take up a certification, the company will pay $15K per year in my sector. I really like working for this company.

Cons

They aren't upfront about pay so you don't know if you are being paid fairly or not. There are also secret bonuses that certain people get offered discretely. Lastly, promotions are kept quiet. There are some level 2s and 3s that will only list Software Development Analyst on emails and such. Because pay isn't published, you don't really know how to plan your career path.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but please let HR know we would like salary information so that we can better determine our career paths.

2. "This is a large company and you feel it in the layers of bureacracy you face."

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Ability to do flexible work schedules.

Cons

Forcing employees to take vacation or LWOP when there is a break in a contract. Even when the government money is coming they will not carry you a single day on risk.